First week Discussion

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Benjamin Button

Default First week Discussion

Go ahead and start discussing the first part of the story. Try not to discuss anything beyond the first five chapters, so those who haven't caught up and don't want spoilers don't see them.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Benjamin Button

Default Re: First week Discussion

To get things going, here are a couple of questions...

What were your first impressions of the characters as each was introduced (Raea, Josh, Elis, Pallin, Debbie, any others you want to consider)?

Where did you expect Raea's visions to lead?

In young adult books, the adults are often not present or seen as being in opposition to the young characters. How do you feel about Debbie actually being portrayed as an adult figure who trusts and (*gasp* the contradiction!) actually gets along with her teen neice?

I've never said this before, but Evelyn Johnson was based a lot on my beloved grandmother who passed away in 2006 (except for using the word "dear" a lot). My grandmother was a Catholic of unflappable faith and a great woman who never turned away anyone in need, even when she could barely take care of herself.

How do you feel about the portrayal of religion in the books and how it ties into the myth that the Inari (inadvertently) started then embellished through human history?

I tried to keep religion to a minimum to avoid offending anyone, but I wanted to use it to enhance the idea of the Inari angels, not just give them a foundation of human beliefs. Technology to less advanced races is often considered something extraordinary, like magic or supernatural. But in my beliefs, I feel that there is something greater guiding us and have had the guidance of angels many times in my life, just not in ways one expects.

That's a start. It's more general than specific, but the specifics will come later. I'll come up with more questions

Thing 2

Raea i figured was going to be THE TEEN. you know that one that there is in every book
    Josh the cute guy geek
    Elis the irritating goth kid no one likes and he'll end up being in love with her
    Debbie ugh! the adult

i figured her visions would show her how her parents passed away and it wouldn't be what she was told

i loved that debbie was there for her, every step of the way. and i love that she showed some pride

uhm. that was the only turn off for me (i was expecting it with the whole angel thing) but it wasn't so over powering that it made me gag and put it down, it was just enough to express tht it was present

question for you miss mel are the inari religious because according to what i know and understand they arent really GODS angels... they are just aliens

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Benjamin Button

Quote Originally Posted by RagdollvX
    question for you miss mel are the inari religious because according to what i know and understand they arent really GODS angels... they are just aliens
    No, they aren't religious. I believe it's in WAC (unless it was taken out with edits) and in here that Elis doesn't believe the same as Josh and Evelyn and Debbie, neither does Raea because her mother didn't and no one forced it on her.

Thing 2

LOVE

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Benjamin Button

Quote Originally Posted by RagdollvX
    LOVE
    LOL

<3

Puck

I agree with Ragdoll on the characterizations.

I'll add that I thought Pallin was a bit sinister from the get-go. Although the girls were drooling, something about his differentness made him a bit creepy to me, so I felt validated when Elis confronted him after the diner. Maybe it was the subliminal Sarah Palin connection that upped my squidge-factor.

Although we are clearly setting up for a good vs evil type paradigm, and <hopefully> for our heroine to prevail, I don't really think the religion is a heavy influence at this juncture. I guess I also focused more on the visions as supplying a context for Raea, rather than some sort of archetype.

Editing to add that maybe I'm not noticing the religion aspect so much because I have not read the prequel?

Benjamin Button

I wrote this before Sarah Palin ever came on the scene. I chose the name Pallin because of his lighter coloring (from pallid, which would have been too obvious). Sorry to disappoint you.

Cool about thinking he was a bit sinister from the beginning. Then I did my job right. And it sounds like you're interpreting the visions the way I had intended. I realize not everyone will see everything in the same context, but that's why it's interesting to discuss these things.

I didn't want the religious aspect to be too strong in this. It's mostly there as a reference and comparison of angels, kind of like the Egyptian mythology was for Stargate.

Wow it's great. I love Elis the hot guy who's a male angel or something. Sorry I'm not done reading what has been told to read yet, but it's freaking awesome!!!
    Vampire Tattoo Goddess

Benjamin Button

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSin
    Wow it's great. I love Elis the hot guy who's a male angel or something. Sorry I'm not done reading what has been told to read yet, but it's freaking awesome!!!
    Okay, here's a question I hope everyone will contribute too--what makes Elis so hot?

Seriously. I just adore him myself, but I better, since inspiration for him came from my husband

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast