09/27/2010 - First Week eRead of Marked (Elisabeth Naughton)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mad Hatter

Default 09/27/2010 - First Week eRead of Marked (Elisabeth Naughton)

Here are the chapters/pages to read and comment on for the Week of 09/27/2010:

Chapters 1-7 (Page 78)

By the Sunday that ends this week's eRead, I'd like to ask people provide at least 2 comments with at least one entry that is unique to what had already been said for the week.

If this is too limiting, really feel free to start any discussions before then or in any order on these chapters.

1st Commenter: Donna (AKA wdblevin)
    2nd Commenter: KatFromMD
    3rd Commenter: Joykins
    4th Commenter: CeCeSG
    5th Commenter: cltomp
    6th Commenter: houndstooth
    7th Commenter: Amber (AKA RagdollvX)
    8th Commenter: skottiesgerl
    nth Commenter: <anybody and everybody!>

Donna

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Default Re: 09/27/2010 - First Week eRead of Marked (Elisabeth Naughton)

I am so excited to begin this eRead with those that can/want to join in... 'Talk' to y'all during the week!

Donna

Mad Hatter

Okay, I am through Chapter 4 and I have so many things I want to ask/chat about... The book is very good (to me) so far!

FYI: I will limit my comments to two. I think some of my 'questions' might get answered by the time I finish Chapter 7.

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

I hope no one minds (since Donna is first on the list), but I thought I'd add in a comment WHICH CONTAINS NO SPOILERS, and might be useful to those who are still reading. It was driving me a little nuts, so I had to go to the shelf and pull out my Greek to English dictionary to figure out the Greek words Theron uses. As you probably guessed by the root of the word, "gynaika" means "woman". Likewise, "andras" means "man" and "skata" clearly translates to a slightly stronger version of "crap".

Casey says that the term of endearment that her grandmother uses, "meli", isn't Greek, but in fact it is. "Meli", or μέλι , means "honey" in Greek. For all I know, it is only used to describe the bee product. I have no idea whether it is used as a term of endearment as it is in English.

I am again astonished that my knowledge of Greek letters is useful. (See, kids, you DO use what you learn in math class in real life!)

d'Artagnan

I'm excited to start discussing it, too! I'm, um, almost done, but I'll try not to spoil it for anybody!

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by KatFromMD
    I hope no one minds (since Donna is first on the list), but I thought I'd add in a comment WHICH CONTAINS NO SPOILERS, and might be useful to those who are still reading. It was driving me a little nuts, so I had to go to the shelf and pull out my Greek to English dictionary to figure out the Greek words Theron uses. As you probably guessed by the root of the word, "gynaika" means "woman". Likewise, "andras" means "man" and "skata" clearly translates to a slightly stronger version of "crap".

Casey says that the term of endearment that her grandmother uses, "meli", isn't Greek, but in fact it is. "Meli", or μέλι , means "honey" in Greek. For all I know, it is only used to describe the bee product. I have no idea whether it is used as a term of endearment as it is in English.

I am again astonished that my knowledge of Greek letters is useful. (See, kids, you DO use what you learn in math class in real life!)
    Great minds and all that 'skata' <giggle>... I went to a translation site for all those, too! I knew from some other Greek character romances that 'meli' is Greek and means what you noted.

Donna

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by houndstooth
    I'm excited to start discussing it, too! I'm, um, almost done, but I'll try not to spoil it for anybody!
    After I started reading it on Sunday, I had to remind myself to stop. I was going to pick it up again last night, but got busy doing moderator stuff here on NB's and crashed after that.

If tonight isn't too busy, I'll finish the rest of the first week's chapters and get my comments on.

Donna

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by wdblevin
    Great minds and all that 'skata' <giggle>... I went to a translation site for all those, too! I knew from some other Greek character romances that 'meli' is Greek and means what you noted.
    Oh, and I tried to use the built in dictionary for the first time on my Nook... Obviously, it didn't work for the Greek words.

I do have a question Nook related to this book, what do the italicized words mean - I see some while I am reading and I am not sure if it is intentional or just something quirky the font being used is doing to the text?

Donna

Mad Hatter

https://www.nookboards.com/forum/inde...46800#msg46800

I'd just like us to stick with the chapter/week setup.

Go ahead and post!

Donna

Thing 2

Quote Originally Posted by KatFromMD

[quote author=Klaatu link=topic=6826.msg72577#msg72577 date=1296793819]
    'Stay thirsty, my friends.' [/quote]

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast