Chit Chat :) - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chit Chat :)

Default Re: Chit Chat :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Anne, I'll join and read along.. I just don't know how "talkative" I'll be.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Hello Everyone!

I'm Diana...and also in soggy S. Florida.

I am working on the first 10 chapters, getting ready to start the discussion!

Puck

Hey Everybody!

I'm Maria. I live in Northern Wisconsin, and am a substitute teacher and newly hired librarian I've had my nook since early August and have just over 180 books on it.

I've read the The Historian before, but I love it so much that I'm going to read it again!
    Maria

Currently Reading:
    The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

Just Finished:
    If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White
    Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Hi everyone,
    My name is Lisa. I am a school psychologist in Maine. I love to read but my other big passion is scrapbooking hence the screen name!
    This is my first ever book club. I need to get cracking on the reading I see since everyone else has started! YIKES!

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by scrapmama
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Lisa. I am a school psychologist in Maine. I love to read but my other big passion is scrapbooking hence the screen name!
    This is my first ever book club. I need to get cracking on the reading I see since everyone else has started! YIKES!
    If it makes you feel any better, I haven't started yet, but I plan to on Friday. Welcome to the club though
    Maria

Currently Reading:
    The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

Just Finished:
    If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't) by Betty White
    Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli

Tom Sawyer

Don't freak if you haven't started yet. The first set of reading is 10 chapters, which is about 80-90 pages. If I'm reading correctly the first set is supposed to be finished by Oct 10th to discuss. I think some people are getting ahead, because it's really good book, 10 chapters in 7 days is yikes. That's just me probably; my name comes from reading slowly, not a fascination with turtles.

I'm sticking to the reading assignment becuase I don't want to commit the faux pas of typing up and entire answer of spoilers. Luckily, I have Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette to enjoy in the meantime.

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook
    ....I think some people are getting ahead, because it's really good book....
    The chapters are rather short and yes, the book is so good I can't help but read on. I can't wait to discuss the book!
    ~*~ Cyn ~*~

currently reading: The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova (Oct-Nov Book Club Selection)

just finished: The Strain - Guillermo del Toro &
    Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne

up next: The Passage - Justin Cronin

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    Thanks.. haha I hope no one riots otherwise I'm gonna be in big trouble!
    I have your back!
    ~*~ Cyn ~*~

currently reading: The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova (Oct-Nov Book Club Selection)

just finished: The Strain - Guillermo del Toro &
    Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne

up next: The Passage - Justin Cronin

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by scrapmama
    Hi everyone,
    I am with turtlenook, no need to worry because other people have started! At first, I wasn't sure if we were going to have a one or two month club, and this is a fairly large book, around 700 pages. So I let people know they could get a head start if they wanted to, as long as they didn't write anything that was ahead of where we are in the official reading chunks.

If anyone needs to worry it's me since I just started reading the book the other day, am on like the second or third chapter, can't remember, and I'M the one who has to come up with discussion questions LOL!!

Honestly, I am not aiming for the question and answer scenario I have seen in the other book club forums. I don't think it should be a reading assignment.. and me giving everyone questions and having them answer one by one is not what I would call a real discussion. I am just going to try to ask questions that spark a discussion and hopefully the ball will start rolling from there, because the question/answer format just seems to stilted to me. I want it to be organic.. and fun. Hopefully everyone agrees with me on this, feel free to pipe up and tell me if you do or don't, I'm just the host, I want this to be enjoyable for everyone, not to be a dictator
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    I am glad you haven't worked for anyone like the women in the book.. she sounded like such an oddball (from what I remember, its been quite a few years since I read it, so I might be thinking of another book too). I don't think I could do any sort of nanny job for someone who was so called "high society" because it would just irritate me to death LOL

I don't think I'd ever want to live in anywhere either, even if the people were nice because that would just feel like I was at my job 24/7 with nowhere to go for rest and reprieve.. and then you get into the whole situation of when it my OFF time and when is my ON time, and you probably end up working more than what you are getting paid for.

Do you work for solely one family at any given time, or do you take on more than one family depending on the schedules they need you for? Depending on where you work in New York, and who you are working for, I bet you could make a nice chunk of change doing that though, so hopefully you're getting paid well!
    I was lucky most of my live-in jobs were nice. Even though I had days off because I live in I never felt like I was off. I only have work for one family at a time. I am not getting paid as much as I should be paid.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast