WEEK 1 Discussion questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Re: WEEK 1 Discussion questions

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03
    Yes, possibly! Okay, so he did tried to shield her from it, because he's so hesitant in his acquiescence in telling her the stories. So if he's trying to keep her from it and she finds it anyway dot dot dot. I can just hear creepy organ music playing.
    I can't see that he did his best to hide it from her. If he had been trying to keep it from her in the first place, it wouldn't have been in the bookcase. I don't think it was meant for her, but now that she's seen it, her father is duty bound to give her all the information. I think he's drawing it out because once she has it, then he'll disappear as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

What would your reaction be to finding a dragon book as described in The Historian? What would you do?
    Oh cool, I'll ask Dad about this book and what the heck the funky letter is.

What would your reaction be to finding a dragon book as described in The Historian? What would you do?
    Now that Ive heard part of Dad's creepy story about :evilbat: I must !

I know the whole story isn't finished, and even Prof Rossi's story isn't done since there are 2 more letters. This seems to be the book version of in movies when you hear a thud and someone has to go check it out. I wonder if the horror story rules that were in Scream apply here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    I can't see that he did his best to hide it from her. If he had been trying to keep it from her in the first place, it wouldn't have been in the bookcase. I don't think it was meant for her, but now that she's seen it, her father is duty bound to give her all the information. I think he's drawing it out because once she has it, then he'll disappear as well.
    Well, I wouldn't say he's done his best for sure. He definitely didn't, but I do think he at least tried somewhat.
    Good point on the disappearing. Hadn't thought of that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I didn't get around to posting my own answers to the questions I posed, so here goes (and believe it or not I had no idea of my own answers when I thought of the questions LOL) Except the quote one because I wrote down my favorite quote and thought "hey, that'd be a good question" haha

On page 8, in the Note to Readers, what is "cri de coeur"? I had no idea, I was too lazy to look it up, but I was wondering, and I knew someone would fill me in!

Was it fate that led her to discover the first letter or the dragon book? Do you believe in fate? I don't know if it was necessarily fate or just her curiosity. I don't believe in fate in the general sense.. I do believe things happen for a reason and some things are meant to happen in order to teach us lessons and we have the opportunity to grow as people.

Every person who has a dragon book was "given" it/found it amongst their things as if it was meant for them, and thus went on a search or did research to find out more information. The diplomats daughter finds the book on the shelf among her father's books but feels the same sense of the unknown and wants answers - do you think the book was "meant" for her as much, or on the same way it was meant for her father and Professor Rossi? I don't think the book was "meant" for her as it was for her father and Prof. Rossi because someone GAVE the books to them by placing it in their library carts. She randomly found it in her fathers bookshelves. I do think though that she has the same curiosity and determination that both of the men had about the book - wanting answers and so she is basically taking on the challenge that was given to them. I guess we'll see how far she goes after she hears the rest of the story though, if when her father finishes the story and her curiosity is sated, maybe she'll let sleeping dogs lie.

What would your reaction be to finding a dragon book as described in The Historian? What would you do? I think the book would have fascinated me. Just the odd spelling of Dracula and the word itself, would have intrigued me. I think I would have tried to do some research myself to see what it was about, but I think if I didn't get very far, I would give it up. The first thing I would've done is go to my father because it was after all HIS book.

In Ch. 8 on page 68 ( roughly depending on font size, etc) in Prof. Rossi's letter to his " dear and unfortunate successor" he mentions various forms of protection that religious and superstitious people use and says / he / clings to " their intellectual, their psychological equivalents" - what do you think these are? What would you rely on if you were in Prof Rossi's shoes?

I think the intellectual and psychological equivalents that Prof. Rossi uses is research/knowledge, after all, what is the saying "Knowledge is power."If I was in Prof. Rossi's shoes I would rely on my faith by praying and also rely on my own mind and logic by doing research and doing my best to know what I was up against.

What is your favorite quote or passage so far? Why?
    My fav quote is on pg. 17 (in my nook lol) "..when you handle books all day long, every new one is a friend and a temptation." This is my favorite quote from the chapters we read so far because I love books and I can totally relate! lol

What do you think happened to Prof Rossi? I think something supernatural happened and sadly, I think he probably died because of the blood spatter they found.

Why do you think that the diplomat is acting so strange during their visit to the old monastery/ church? What do you think transpired there?
    I think he had a bad experience there, related to his travels/research he did about the book.

Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Excellent point. I concur and props to Kostova: the audience direct at the outset is very engaging.
    When I read the book the first time, the Note to the Reader was so authentic that I almost forgot I was reading a fiction novel - I had to double check! That is the mark of a good writer and book.
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

I think he probably died because of the blood spatter they found
    I totally forgot about that. I guess I wasn't ready for Rossi to end so I made up little crazy plots so that he could live and know the mystery of the book all along.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook
    I totally forgot about that. I guess I wasn't ready for Rossi to end so I made up little crazy plots so that he could live and know the mystery of the book all along.
    Well, there was blood spatter on the ceiling (odd place for it, I think it lends again to something supernatural/mysterious happening to him) but I am not sure if there was enough blood there for it to be conclusive of his death or not. He very well could be alive and hopefully if he is, he knows the mystery of the book!

It said one of his unsolvable books was missing - and I'm betting it was the dragon book. I think the diplomat knows it was the dragon book that was missing but just didn't add that fact in for his daughter when he's telling her the story because he doesn't want to scare her about what might happen to HIM. I DO think he is trying to scare her enough though that she DOESN'T want to pick up the mystery herself. So he's trying to walk a fine line, in my mind.
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    Good Point I do not think he was trying to keep it from her either..

Was it fate that led her to discover the first letter or the dragon book? Do you believe in fate?

I think it was fate. I think it was meant for her to find the first letter and the dragon book.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    Good Point I do not think he was trying to keep it from her either..
    I'm on the fence about if he wanted to hide it from her or not. I think in general, he was putting the book among his other books as a way to kind of diffuse the evil/darkness he felt about it. If he hides it away he is kind of admitting that the book has power and gives it more control over his life, but if he puts it on the shelf then he lessens it's impact and it becomes just another book he owns. I don't think he anticipated his daughter finding the book, I don't think he is happy that she is interested in it.. but I think he also thinks it was inevitable that he would eventually have to share this dark time in his life with her.

By the way.. this a dumb question I know, and I feel like an idiot asking it.. but I cannot remember the daughter's name!! I can't remember the father's name either. Although for some reason I remember her mother/his wife's name: Helen, which I think was mentioned once in the first 10 chapters. Go figure. lol
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast