WEEK 1 Discussion questions - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tom Sawyer

Default Re: WEEK 1 Discussion questions

Thinking about it... the book must have been meant for her. The either guards itself, or someone guards it from others and it seems it's only for the chosen. After Rossi is gone, the book goes with him. If the book wasn't meant for her, I think the book would have disappeared. The book kept reappearing for the others because they were actively trying to get rid of it. She's not doing that, so no weird disappearance/reappearance happens to her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

I'm drawing a blank on her name, but her father's name is Paul... Her name will come to me..

ETA: I just went back and skimmed and I don't see her name anywhere. I don't think we know it yet.

Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook
    Thinking about it... the book must have been meant for her. The either guards itself, or someone guards it from others and it seems it's only for the chosen. After Rossi is gone, the book goes with him. If the book wasn't meant for her, I think the book would have disappeared. The book kept reappearing for the others because they were actively trying to get rid of it. She's not doing that, so no weird disappearance/reappearance happens to her.
    But shouldn't she be getting her own book? We know that Rossi's book was different from her father's. I expect that if this is her path, that she will find her own copy.

In reference to the blood on the ceiling, it wasn't really spatter, more of a smear. And the smear pointed in the direction of the missing book from the unsolvables shelf. I think, based on that, that Rossi took the book with him when he disappeared. Question is, how did his blood get smeared on the ceiling? How did he get up that high? Maybe he's a vampire and flew. Or a vampire came and took him away....

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    But shouldn't she be getting her own book? We know that Rossi's book was different from her father's. I expect that if this is her path, that she will find her own copy.

In reference to the blood on the ceiling, it wasn't really spatter, more of a smear. And the smear pointed in the direction of the missing book from the unsolvables shelf. I think, based on that, that Rossi took the book with him when he disappeared. Question is, how did his blood get smeared on the ceiling? How did he get up that high? Maybe he's a vampire and flew. Or a vampire came and took him away....

Great Point I think she should find her own copy also. I think that a vampire came and took him away.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    I'm on the fence about if he wanted to hide it from her or not. I think in general, he was putting the book among his other books as a way to kind of diffuse the evil/darkness he felt about it. If he hides it away he is kind of admitting that the book has power and gives it more control over his life, but if he puts it on the shelf then he lessens it's impact and it becomes just another book he owns. I don't think he anticipated his daughter finding the book, I don't think he is happy that she is interested in it.. but I think he also thinks it was inevitable that he would eventually have to share this dark time in his life with her.

By the way.. this a dumb question I know, and I feel like an idiot asking it.. but I cannot remember the daughter's name!! I can't remember the father's name either. Although for some reason I remember her mother/his wife's name: Helen, which I think was mentioned once in the first 10 chapters. Go figure. lol
    I am blank on her name too. I do not think we were told her name.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne

Great Point I think she should find her own copy also. I think that a vampire came and took him away.
    Isn't the bat a theme in this book? The diplomat mentions bats, like when they were at St. Mathieu and saw the birds (swallows?) flying out of one of the towers as well as one lone bat flapping with them, which is really odd. And a legend is that drakulya could turn into a bat? Or am I misremembering? Anyway, based on that, the dark shadow, the blood, the missing book and the smear on the ceiling, could it be that Drakulya paid him a visit and stole the book?

Or am I just ? LOL.

Puck

I agree with Anne and Pickles....

If she is meant to have the book, she should receive her own.

And yes, I think Drakulya did/does turn into a bat in common legend....

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles
    I'm drawing a blank on her name, but her father's name is Paul... Her name will come to me..

ETA: I just went back and skimmed and I don't see her name anywhere. I don't think we know it yet.
    Oh good! It's not me being a complete ninny then! lol I am usually good at remembering characters names, but when I was making the questions I realized I didn't have a clue what it was. For some reason I was thinking that Prof. Rossi's first name was Paul, but I think you are right.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03
    Isn't the bat a theme in this book? The diplomat mentions bats, like when they were at St. Mathieu and saw the birds (swallows?) flying out of one of the towers as well as one lone bat flapping with them, which is really odd. And a legend is that drakulya could turn into a bat? Or am I misremembering? Anyway, based on that, the dark shadow, the blood, the missing book and the smear on the ceiling, could it be that Drakulya paid him a visit and stole the book?

Or am I just ? LOL.
    That's a good observation about the bats.. there does seem to be alot of references so far. And I agree, the legend is (or at least one of them) is that drakulya can turn into a bat when he wants to.

I kind of lean toward your theory that Drakulya decided it was time to "do away with" Prof. Rossi and stole the book.

The blood on the ceiling is so mysterious! It just begs to be answered how it got there.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Puck

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes

I kind of lean toward your theory that Drakulya decided it was time to "do away with" Prof. Rossi and stole the book.

The blood on the ceiling is so mysterious! It just begs to be answered how it got there.
    Yes, but if he did away with Rossi.....where's the body?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast