WEEK 1 Discussion questions - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: WEEK 1 Discussion questions

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Yes, but if he did away with Rossi.....where's the body?
    That is what I want to know Where's the body?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Yes, but if he did away with Rossi.....where's the body?
    I think he would probably want to take the body with him, otherwise people would know how he died. If there is a real Drakuyla that really exists, then he probably is pretty good at hiding himself and getting rid of his tracks. I am just speculating though.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    I think he would probably want to take the body with him, otherwise people would know how he died. If there is a real Drakuyla that really exists, then he probably is pretty good at hiding himself and getting rid of his tracks. I am just speculating though.
    This is my thinking too. If he's supernatural, he has ways to hide it, right?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflywishes
    That is true he would probably want to take the body with him. He would not want anybody to be able to find the body.

Tom Sawyer

Hey all, I apologize for being so late to the game, but I had some minor surgery this week and it was somewhat more than I bargained for. I've been reading, but nothing that requires actual concentration, which this discussion certainly does!

I also dragged my heals because, honestly, I just haven't gotten into the book. I finished the first 10 chapters over a week ago, but had to push myself to do it, and haven't been all that keen to go on.

The weird thing is, while I'm just not at all engaged by the characters or plot, I REALLY enjoy some of the writing. I LOVED the description of the Eastern European tea house, from the steamy windows as they enter to the wrought-iron tables and chairs as they leave. I was so taken by the description of Ragusa, (which sounded like some Croatian cities I'd seen pictures of), I had to look it up, thinking I'd like to travel there. Ragusa, in fact, is the Croatian name for Dubrovnik, so the images her description brought to mind were right on target. When she described the thrown together lunch of fresh fruit, bread, cheese and wine while driving through France, it immediately triggered memories of similar picnics I'd had in the French countryside. I could almost feel the sun and smell the fresh scents in the air. I could also easily picture the young girl hiding in a cozy nook of the university library.

I just wish I had any interest in the characters.

I have to agree with the folks who don't think the narrator is supposed to have the book. Her father and Rossi had theirs presented to them...she didn't. I don't consider it fate. I do, however, think that her father is frightened not just from his memories, but from the strange feeling that once his story is passed on, he'll disappear, just as Rossi did.

I'm really intrigued by turtlenook's theory about Rossi becoming Drakula's assistant. Imagine all the research being so that you'll be prepared to do his bidding! On the other hand, I doubt Rossi would have been chased out of the library in Istanbul if that were the case.

I think the most puzzling thing to me is how these two men, who were clearly so driven to learn more about it all, could just stop. I spent enough years in academia to know that once you get your teeth into something that deep, you're unlikely to let go. Now, I never encountered any scary paranormal stuff, but still... I guess we'll find out just how scary her father's encounters were that they convinced him to stop. But wouldn't you want to pass on the information, the search, to others? Academia is all about expanding our knowledge of the world...it seems strange that they would both keep it so secret. I would think the more people who know about, the less threatening and frightening it would be.

Super Moderator

I agree with you Kat, this book is a great travelogue! It makes you feel as if you are there. I think if you keep with the book it will suck you in I know some books take forever to reel me in and then when I am into it, I am surprised that there was ever I a time I didn't enjoy reading it lol

No problem on joining a bit late - I just hope you are starting to feel better from your surgery! Surgery, major or minor is no fun. I have a minor surgery I have to have every 6 months and I am not myself for about 2 or 3 days every time.
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

When she described the thrown together lunch of fresh fruit, bread, cheese and wine while driving through France, it immediately triggered memories of similar picnics I'd had in the French countryside. I could almost feel the sun and smell the fresh scents in the air.
    Maybe you can answer something that I've been wondering since I read that section... How do you eat a cheese that is encased in mold? Just cut the mold part off? I'm not much a cheese person so that one had me puzzled.

Tom Sawyer

Well, brie, like some other soft cheeses, has an outside skin or rind, which is likely what they're referring to. Some people prefer to cut this off, others eat it. It's edible, but not as appealing as the soft cheese inside.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234