WEEK 2 DISCUSSION - Update! :) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: WEEK 2 DISCUSSION - Update! :)

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Turtlenook...Perhaps also, for this generally docile and accepting girl (in the early 1970s in Amsterdam, a very progressive place), this is her form of rebellion?

Clearly, I think Binnert, the curator and Hedges were attacked by Dracula. I believe also that it is Dracula in the cafe and in the castle window. Can Paul not see him? Is Paul seeking him? Is he seeking Paul or the girl? Is he trying to make sure Paul does not find Rossi? If so, why has he not attacked Paul too? Perhaps because Paul is a book recipient and something else happens to those folks (a la Rossi?)

I think Rossi is, although clearly loyal, perhaps misguided in his pursuit. Maybe his name on the map is a warning, cross this line and all bets are off? It certainly foreshadows Paul's quest for Rossi and the daughter's quest essentially for her father.

Also I find the Helen Rossi thing interesting. Very un-Rossi like to abandon the girlfriend/child and lie about it. Something's definitely up here. Rossi, at least to date, has been portrayed as a pretty loyal and honorable fellow. After all, he is risking his life on a search for justice for a friend....

That is interesting I wonder if it Dracula that attacked Binnert , the curator and Hedges.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I find the whole thing about the curator the most mysterious of all. When Rossi was talking to him about the book he appeared to him to be sickly/ill, gaunt, etc like he had some kind of internal illness.. and also told Rossi things that he had no way to know about, and then when he handed the book back to Rossi with the map inside, Rossi said he looked completely normal. So which was it? Was Rossi so much into thinking that this book is sinister that his mind is playing tricks on him? And then what to make of the facts the curator knew that Rossi never told him - not to mention the map with Rossi's name where Dracula's tomb is supposed to be.. a warning? A foreshadowing? Did the curator put it there and just lie and say he found it? I can't wrap my mind around that whole bit!!
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Puck

Firefly....first of all, you are doing an awesome job!! Keep up the good work. I think we are picking out of the questions those which strike us and then those dicussions evolve.

As for the curator, and Binnerts and even the dead librarian, it seems to me that when the interest is piqued in one of these non-book recipients, that bad things happen. Perhaps Dracula takes over their bodies to further his ends? That aside, they are physically damaged in some way as a result of the curiosity.

It all comes full circle to the daughter. She has not received her own book, so is something similar in store for her?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Firefly....first of all, you are doing an awesome job!! Keep up the good work. I think we are picking out of the questions those which strike us and then those dicussions evolve.

As for the curator, and Binnerts and even the dead librarian, it seems to me that when the interest is piqued in one of these non-book recipients, that bad things happen. Perhaps Dracula takes over their bodies to further his ends? That aside, they are physically damaged in some way as a result of the curiosity.

It all comes full circle to the daughter. She has not received her own book, so is something similar in store for her?
    Thanks! Yeah, that is actually what I want to happen, I'm not out to be a dictator just a facilitator LOL As long as people are talking, I'm happy

I'm wondering about the daughter too.. I'm also wondering about her mother and if her death is somehow related to all of this and that is why Paul is so reluctant to discuss this with his daughter (among other reasons..)
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

by the way i'm getting all weepy 'cause no one's bothered with any of my deeply-thought-out discussion questions
    I'm having to go back and reread. I completely missed the fact that the curator's appearance changed on in one setting, and I thought that the diplomat accidentally let it slip that he went to Istanbul. So this time your questions seem to be pointing out everything I missed or forgot.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook
    I'm having to go back and reread. I completely missed the fact that the curator's appearance changed on in one setting, and I thought that the diplomat accidentally let it slip that he went to Istanbul. So this time your questions seem to be pointing out everything I missed or forgot.
    When I write the questions they also help me remember details of the story that I probably would just forget - because as tiny details they don't mean much, but they are all important in the grand scheme of things if we're to get to the bottom of what's going on!

This is my second time reading this book (and I read it several years ago now, when it first came out, so I have forgotten all the details and only remember the main story line) and I am realizing how many details I missed in my first reading (or forgot about.)

I'm very interested in what you think about the curator's appearance changing. I still don't know what I think - whether it was Rossi's overactive imagination or if somehow the curator was Dracula and showing Rossi his true nature at one point, and then in another going back to looking benign.
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

Ok just to make sure Dracula didn't get me... did the URL of this website change? I had to do a yahoo search, since my bookmark now takes me to some weird advertising site.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook
    Ok just to make sure Dracula didn't get me... did the URL of this website change? I had to do a yahoo search, since my bookmark now takes me to some weird advertising site.
    lol no, a lot of people were having problems yesterday getting to the site. The domain was set to expire yesterday (Rachel paid for it but they still set it to expire for some reason), but it should all be up and running now (and i wasn't able to get on yesterday and I am today, so yay!!)
    Currently reading:

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

I back doored my way in and I saw that some people were posting in other forums, but no one seemed to be talking site problems.

But back to the this weeks stuff.

I know we are probably supposed to think of these people as incredibly smart and brave, but to me it seems like Rossi and Paul fall into the category of the smartest idiots in the whole world. I keep thinking of the long standing joke in horror films, you never see dumb people go check this stuff out, because they are too smart to get into all that mess. I would have felt bad about Hedges, but that would have enough to make me say out loud, no trespasses I got you.

I get the whole love of books and research and everything, but what I don't understand if all this bad stuff happens why does no one attempt to destroy the book?

April, I like your theory about the curator being Dracula, and showing his true nature and then changing back. This was one part of the story I had no theory on. I actually just assumed it was just a plain curator, and odd occurrence that was magnified by the circumstances.

Tom Sawyer

I meant to post last week, but the week got away from me... .

I'd read Kostova's The Swan Thieves, and, while I loved it, I read reviews that the book was long for such a simple conclusion. And I'm somewhat inclined to agree with that, even though I found I didn't mind the length; I enjoyed reading her characters and wondering where the story was going and how it would end. I enjoyed the journey the story took me on.

Having said that, when I got to page 100 or so, I started to distrust the author. I had read comments about this novel being about obsessions, and I started noticing portions where people seemed to be making decisions that were leading them on the path to obsession and possibly madness. This made me wonder where this story was going--was I going to trace the characters on their paths to madness and destruction? Were the bats, dark figures, etc., merely imagined or coincidences? Will there be an overly simple explanation to Rossi's disappearance (and more) at the end? Do I care enough to stay on the journey? (Yes, I think I do!) Will I be disappointed in the end?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast