Quote Originally Posted by goodword
I meant to post last week, but the week got away from me... .

I'd read Kostova's The Swan Thieves, and, while I loved it, I read reviews that the book was long for such a simple conclusion. And I'm somewhat inclined to agree with that, even though I found I didn't mind the length; I enjoyed reading her characters and wondering where the story was going and how it would end. I enjoyed the journey the story took me on.

Having said that, when I got to page 100 or so, I started to distrust the author. I had read comments about this novel being about obsessions, and I started noticing portions where people seemed to be making decisions that were leading them on the path to obsession and possibly madness. This made me wonder where this story was going--was I going to trace the characters on their paths to madness and destruction? Were the bats, dark figures, etc., merely imagined or coincidences? Will there be an overly simple explanation to Rossi's disappearance (and more) at the end? Do I care enough to stay on the journey? (Yes, I think I do!) Will I be disappointed in the end?

I have to say I've read The Swan Thieves and The Historian (this is my second reading) and of the 2 booksThe Historian is far superior to Swan Thieves ... every person is different but in MY opinion you won't be disappointed. I have to say I was kind of disappointed with Swan Thieves ending. It was a long journey for a fizzle of an ending. But alas, I hope you will contrbute to our other discussions! The book is getting good!