WEEK 5 DISCUSSION - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: WEEK 5 DISCUSSION

Yeah, I think the woman creeped her out. She was at the very least, noticing that the woman just stood there alone, as if she was looking for someone, kinda sinister.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

I agree with you that he definitely doesn't remember Romania.. I firmly believe he really went there though (I don't think Dracula disguised himself as Rossi) but it's interesting that you'd link the guy he encountered while viewing the documents in Istanbul to his lost memory in Romania.. again, never thought of that before but maybe he got bit in Istanbul during that incident (doesn't remember that part) and got bit once again while he was in Romania (and thus doesn't remember being there either..)
    I think it was Rossi in Romania too. I thought it maybe a shapeshifted Dracula while Helen's mother told her side of the story, but Rossi's letters and Oxford ring helped validate her story. I don't think he remembers Romania.

I wonder if there will be a an account of Rossi in Greece from a 3rd party. When Rossi wrote about his travels he said that in Greece although he wanted to talk about thinks other than Dracula, that's all people wanted to talk about. (While looking this all up, I read that the Greeks believe that vrykolakas are also made by being accidentally buried alive, and Vlad's older brother was also buried alive.) But in Romania, no one wanted to talk about vampires. I wonder if Rossi's account of his travels to Greece were accurate.

I agree with you that he definitely doesn't remember Romania.. I firmly believe he really went there though (I don't think Dracula disguised himself as Rossi) but it's interesting that you'd link the guy he encountered while viewing the documents in Istanbul to his lost memory in Romania.. again, never thought of that before but maybe he got bit in Istanbul during that incident (doesn't remember that part) and got bit once again while he was in Romania (and thus doesn't remember being there either..)

Tom Sawyer

Whew finally finished chapter 50.

I hope that the narrator and Barley's relationship remains platonic. I like Barley, and it appears that if you get a Dracula induced romance the end result is an illegitimate child and a tragic separation. I also don't want Barley to end up like Hugh James' fiancee.

"We work for the Sultan" My guess is that it's a secret order like the Mason's or the Illuminati. Although, it's a little more secret squirrel since this secret group's mission is to kill vampires. I think the friend that was at the archive that was attacked was also a member, and that was why he felt so strongly about being killed if there was a 3rd attack and asked his fellow member Turgut to finish him off. It has to be secret since vampire hunting is serious business... if you tell the average person they think you are nuts and your off to the loony bin, if a vampire finds out your a target.

Not all of the book recipients are historians, but all are good scholars that are masters at research. Maybe Dracula wants to make sure he has smart vampires around.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by turtlenook

I hope that the narrator and Barley's relationship remains platonic. I like Barley, and it appears that if you get a Dracula induced romance the end result is an illegitimate child and a tragic separation. I also don't want Barley to end up like Hugh James' fiancee.
    dumb question, but who's Hugh James'? I just can't remember at the moment, the name's no ringing any bells..
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

Well I was listening to all this and my listening skills, are not as good as my reading comprehension and memory. If I remember right Hugh James the Scottish or Irish guy at the conference. He also received a book, and told Paul about the accident that severely injured his fiancee. Did I remember correctly? It's in the earlier chapters of week 5. Chapter 41-42 is when he relates his tale.

We don't really know this yet. Did Paul and Helen ever marry? I'm going to assume they did later on. They observed so many other customary romantic niceties that were prevalent in that time, I have to guess that they did marry later on. Unless it's already been established that they didn't and I missed it...

Tom Sawyer

We don't really know this yet. Did Paul and Helen ever marry?
    You're right we don't know; I was so into the assumption that I was thinking that is what happened.

There's so much going on in this book, it's hard to keep track. I should be taking notes!

Super Moderator

Well I was listening to all this and my listening skills, are not as good as my reading comprehension and memory. If I remember right Hugh James the Scottish or Irish guy at the conference. He also received a book, and told Paul about the accident that severely injured his fiancee. Did I remember correctly? It's in the earlier chapters of week 5. Chapter 41-42 is when he relates his tale.
    Yes, they mentioned Hugh James again in this past weeks reading (which I just finished ) and you're correct. He is the one who has a dragon book and they met him at the conference in Romania where Paul was a guest speaker. Thanks for the refresher, I agree with Jenn, I should be doing more than just writing out questions, I should be taking notes! It's getting harder and harder to keep it all straight as the book progresses and the tale gets more intricate. I can't believe the author could keep it all straight, I can only imagine all the notes and stuff she kept as she was writing the story - I don't know if I could've done it! So, kudos to her! lol
    Currently reading:
    The Poisoned House - Michael Ford
    Book Challenge 2011 38 bks read of 60

12,724 Pages Read of 12,000

My Shelf Confessions

Tom Sawyer

Yeah, it's all convoluted for me sorta. I have to read the top of the page here to see Turgut's friend was named Selim, I have no idea of the name of the guy that was attacked 3 times, no clue about the name of the gypsy/Scot and the red eye thing.

Something that I just though about- Everyone seems to have a tragic loss that has come into contact with the book. Although Rossi doesn't remember his loss- if you believe it was him, or if you believe his letter to Helen's mother was true. (Did we learn Helen's mother's name?) So far Turgut doesn't have a tale of woe. Do you think it's just something that he hasn't mentioned yet to Paul and there is a story down the road, he managed to get a book and come out unscathed, or he has suffered he's told Paul and I've just managed to forget ? If you think he came out unscathed, why do you think nothing happened to him?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast