Polly!--a satirical romance (sort of) by Stephen Goldin - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

"The contract [for life] ain't got 'sense' in it anywhere. Or 'fair,' for that matter. Not even in the fine print. I read it all."--Polly

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

"This is where I impart to you the great secret of the universe. All the wisdom of the ancients boiled down to a single word: balance. Stay in balance and the world's your oyster. Assuming you like oysters, that is, otherwise the whole metaphor's worthless."--Polly

Entropy is the constant tendency of the universe to run down, as expressed by the Three Laws of Thermodynamics. I could bore you with the fancy equations, but in layman's terms the First Law is, "You can't get something for nothing." The Second Law is, "It's gonna get worse before it gets better." And the Third Law is, "Who says it's gonna get better?"--Polly

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

"Think of all the horrible things that are blamed on God--wars, famines, diseases, tsunamis. Lawyers have a particularly dim view of him. If something unforeseen happens that's bad, it's an 'act of God.' But do they ever give him credit for anything good?"--Polly

"If God-the-father is in charge of life and death, then the supposed 'sacrifice' of Jesus was a hollow gesture. In order to have a sacrifice, you have to give up something precious to you, with no hope of ever getting it back. Jesus knew Daddy would give him his life back. It was like sacrificing your nails when you get a manicure. I'm much more impressed, frankly, when an atheist or an agnostic is willing to give his life to help another. That is a sacrifice. But in Jesus's case, the game was rigged."--Polly

"Heaven and **** exist, but you don't need God to create them. People manage that extremely well without any divine help. Especially ****. What could God ever do to compare with the Holocaust, or the Armenian genocide, or the Rwandan genocides, or the Bosnian genocides?"--Polly

Default Fantaastic 5-star review for Polly!

Joe Hempel at Top of the Heap Reviews just gave Polly! a dynamite 5-star review in which he said, among other things:

"I didn’t want this book to end. I felt that when I put this down, I lost a friend in Polly. I enjoyed my time with her so much, I stopped reading it, just so I had another day with her. So it seems that Polly not only touches the people written between the cover of the book, but also the people on the outside looking in. This book reaches the top twenty list for me, and comes highly, highly, HIGHLY,recommended by me."

I hope you'll check it out.

Default Read an Ebook Week

To join in the Smashwords celebration of Read an Ebook Week (March 3-9), the 5-star-reviewed Polly! will be half-off through the 9th. Pick it up at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34606.

Support Read an Ebook Week--tell a friend. Pleasant reading!

"People have all sorts of things they think God's supposed to do. People think God's supposed to smite their enemies, or at least help them win a ball game. People think God's supposed to listen to all their prayers, and maybe answer a few of them. People think God's supposed to keep a big, giant scorecard with little x's and o's for good and bad deeds. It's like Santa Claus, figuring out who's naughty and nice. Is God just an obsessive accountant?"--Polly

Another 5-star review of Polly!, this one by David Stockton of Rocky Mountain Reviews.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast