A Whisper to a Scream: Five-Star Contemporary Women's Fiction for only $0.99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Whisper to a Scream: Five-Star Contemporary Women's Fiction for only $0.99

Hi, I'm Karen, and my first novel, A Whisper to a Scream, is available for Nook.

Everyone has a story. When walking past the houses on your block during an after-dinner stroll or driving down a rural road dotted with singular farms, have you ever wondered what was going on inside?

I have always been interested in people’s backstories. How did they get to where they are today? What ramifications does the past have on the present?

So I decided to bring a group of people together, bound only by their love of classic literature, and see what happened.

The result is The Bibliophiles Series, which begins with A Whisper to a Scream, the story of Sarah Anderson, a stay-at-home mother of two, and Annie Jacobs, a PR executive dealing with fertility issues. When they meet through the Classics Book Club, each thinks the others life is so much better than her own. But is the grass truly greener on the other side of the fence?

Please click the link below for a sample.

Thanks,
    Karen

A Whisper to a Scream

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Women's Fiction: A Whisper to a Scream - $0.99

Here is an excerpt from A Whisper to a Scream.

At 35 years old, Sarah Anderson discovered something quite shocking. She had Attention Deficit Disorder – she didn’t get any. Men saw right through her, noticing the children she toted about, one hanging on her leg and one in her arms, but quickly dispelling her, as if the kids were somehow suspended in mid-air, like receivers on Monday Night Football. She wasn’t sure if she had made this correlation herself or had seen it as a joke on the comedy channel. What did her sleep-deprived brain know anyway? How comforting to know her life could be summed up by a punch line.
    As she neared the end of the grocery store aisle, she pulled her cart to a screeching halt, barely missing the man wearing a business suit and cyborg earpiece who just cut in front of her. He continued his conversation, rolling over her foot as he passed.
    “I’m in an all-day meeting on Monday. How’s Tuesday look?”
    “Asshole,” she whispered, hoping her son would not hear. “C’mon, Alex. Let’s get this over with.”
    The toddler was playing his favorite shopping game, throwing things from the cart at passersby. Alex had a small box of rice in his hands. Sarah mistakenly thought shaking it might amuse him, but instead the little guy was ready to chuck it at the pink-babushkaed head of an octogenarian when Sarah turned around from choosing a linguine. Spotting the just-released rice, she leapt across the aisle, caught it on the fly and tossed it in the basket. Alex cried at being thwarted. Sarah smiled, only to be admonished by the scarved lady for not knowing how to keep her child quiet in the store.
    “These kids nowadays. They run the show, not the parents.” The little woman, oblivious to her near-miss, pushed her cart past Sarah’s, who stared in shock as the pink head became lost in the crowd of shoppers. Alex cried louder. Sarah gave him some fish crackers and continued on.
    At last, they were finished and headed for the check out lanes. “Hey! Record time. You were a pretty good boy in the grocery store. Mommy really appreciates that.” Sarah kissed her son on the check. Alex responded by smiling and slapping her in the face.

Default Re: Marriage, family and friendships...all for $0.99!

My kids and I went to our local Barnes & Noble last Saturday. Ours is probably a lot like yours, where the Nook is staged right as you walk in, and a person is there to answer any questions shoppers might have regarding the e-reader. My son looked up A Whisper to a Scream on the sample Nook and left it up for passersby to view.

It was rather like seeing your novel on the shelf of a major bookstore for the first time...very exciting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Have you ever wanted something so badly it hurt?

I would like to invite you to check out my blog, Bibliophilic Blather. I post three time a week. "Editing for Grammarphobes" appears on Mondays and Wednesdays, which offers quick grammar tips for everyone, not just writers.

"Flash Fiction Fridays" features writers of all genres contributing microfiction of 500 words or less on monthly themes. Many great authors have already contributed, including Karen Cantwell, Daniel Pyle and Sean Sweeney.

Stop by, if you would like.
    http://karenwojcikberner.blogspot.com

Thanks for reading,
    Karen

Default Re: Perfect for Mother's Day: A Whisper to a Scream

This could be the quintessential Mother's Day story. One women who has two boys. The other wants a child so badly she could, well, scream.

Please try it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks a lot,
    Karen

Default Re: A Whisper to a Scream: Contemporary Women's Fiction for only $0.99

Whisper just received a great review from a Nook reader.

"I think just about all women can relate to this book on some level. Stay-at-home mom, wanna be mom, struggling with fertility problems....covers it all. The story is centered around the struggles and life of a Stay at home Mom and the decisions that she has made in the interest of her family and how it has impacted who she is as a person. It also centers around a woman who has wanted nothing more than to have a child since she was a child, but has put it on the back burner in order to get all things in place first. Full of emotion....from laughs to tears. Was suprised at the ending. Very good for the price and it's also a full legnth piece....not one of those short ones."

Thank so much.

Have you seen Whisper's new cover?

It is a tie-in with the paperback release, which is on June 22.

"Whisper" received five stars from Big Al's Books and Pals.

Here's the link.
    http://booksandpals.blogspot.com/201...ik-berner.html

Default Re: A Whisper to a Scream: Five-Star Contemporary Women's Fiction for only $0.99

"Whisper" just received a great review from a Nook reader.

***** Real
    I like this book a lot, it was very real in a sense of relatability and more importantly, the author not sugar coating what a situation could turn into. The plot was very good and original and the book was well written. The characters are great and evolved very nicely and the two women; the main characters; are wonderful and very likable despite each of their situations. You really want to root for these women, their happiness and contentment with life. This book is very sad yet very triumphant and even manages to make you laugh. Good read, would recommend.

Whisper had its best sales month ever in September. Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast