Changing Genres

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Genres

Mowgli

Default Changing Genres

I recently shifted gears a little, moving from mystery to suspense with An Uncertain Refuge. At the end of the summer I'll release A Place of Forgetting, a coming-of-age/romance novel set in 1966.
    How many of you have changed genres and how have you promoted the new work. What have you heard from readers about the shift?
    Have characters, must write.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Changing Genres

I haven't actually switched yet, but I'm leaning towards moving from paranormal romance to YA paranormal.
    Good luck on your switch!
    S.J. Wright, Author

Oliver

I've switched from horror to crime fiction, but I haven't yet published my first crime fiction book, so I don't really have an answer as to how readers will take to my switching genres. I imagine that if you already have an audience who expects a certain genre from you, you might lose them if you put out something completely different. However, if you write an exceptional story with a good cover design, I believe you'll make up for those that you lose. Of course, readers' reviews also play a part, so getting some positive reviews will also help gain new readers.

Just my two cents. Best of luck with the switch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

I started by publishing under the Fantasy genre with a superhero story, then another one (sequel) and another. I then switched to Horror for a collection of shrort stories and then a novel, changed to Erotica, back to Horror, back to Erotica, then...I'm kind of all over the board. I write whatever I feel at the moment. No one complains. Some people like a lot of my genres, so far I haven't found anyone who likes all the genres I like, but I think most of my readers stick with whatever they like and forget the rest.

Fine by me, as long as they're buying some of what I write.

Mowgli

Have any of you considered using a different name - a pen name - when you switch genres?

It's very time consuming to create a second identity.

K. A. Jordan - Author of Swallow the Moon, Impressive Bravado, and one opinionated blog Jordan's Croft.

Oliver

I'd have to second that, K.A. It's hard enough to build up one author name, but developing a pen name means starting all over. Perhaps having a pen name would work if one of the names your books are published under really takes off, then you could reveal that you write under the other name as well. The readers may buy those other books too, if they really like your writing. It worked for Stephen King when his readers learned he also wrote as Richard Bachman.

I've given the pen name some thought to keep my genres separate, but haven't yet tried it with self publishing. I think most self-pub authors just use one name and write whatever they want. Joe Konrath is the only indie author I can think of that has a pen name and it's not a secret. You could email him and ask how that's working out for him.

Mowgli

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about the effort involved to do it right.

Oliver

I don't think switching or mixing is bad if it's something like say horror, thriller. Some of those elements match.

I plan on writing horror, thriller, and sci-fi books.

NOW, if you're planning the opposite end of the world say romance, erotica, I would create a pen name (or two).

That way nobody is too confused.

-jb
    The Devil's Weekend for Nook!
    *Jim's writing blog - www.JimTheWriterB.wordpress.com * Follow Jim on Twitter @JimBronyaur * See all books at www.JimBronyaur.com

Mowgli

If I ever wrote anything that could be classified as erotica I'd definitely use a pen name or I'd never be able to roll the garbage to the curb again - this is a pretty conservative neighborhood. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast