Hi All My Beautiful Readers

I do definitely enjoy connecting to you guys in the US. The power of the word used wisely will eventually make a difference to the quality of our lives. I felt it was important to follow on from my previous post on the necessity that we all need to buy into, which is to slow down. Literature has a duty to educate as well as entertain. My angle on it is to zero in on what counts to all of us, essentially a shared experience.
Look at it this way, all you who take the time out to read Nook Boards whether you work in the media, as journalists, academics, teachers, involved in the law, medicine, politics?? or of course are college students, know how sub-consciously we all can be caught up in the fast paced river of life. Don't you ask yourself why am I swept along down the freeway? At this point I would like to tell you about a guy I work with in the North West of England. For legal and confidential reasons it is not appropriate to reveal the occupation and name of the fellow colleague concerned. In the next section I will summarise as a teaching tale the points I feel are important to get across to you readers.

Case Study involving Mental Health Practitioner Who did not slow down

I currently work in mental health social work in North West England as an agency social worker. It's principal client group are individuals aged from 16 to 65 essentially who have enduring severe mental illness. The job is arduous and demanding both physically and mentally. Both of us are required to attend reviews of clients with severe and enduring mental ill health. Translating that job into a physical context meant that both myself and my colleague had to undertake a large number of strenous trips around the city for the purpose of monitoring the mental health of vulnerable clients. As you may appreciate all this fast paced travelling and rushing round will eventually have an impact on the body itself. You see both my colleague and myself had to attend clinical review meetings around the city. Those reviews invariably involved the team consultant psychiatrist. Our attendance was central to the level of care we had to provide with individuals who were very risky prone to rapid swings in mood. Very senstive and complex work.Both myself and my colleague had to attend as well as mental health appointed review tribunals respecting mental health patients remaining under detention against their will subservient to English mental health legislation. I and my psychiatric community nurse colleague travelled around the North West of England for the purpose of carrying out theses duties.

In due course, my colleague late last autumn returned from a morning of client home visits when he complained of severe chest pains which resulted in him collapsing at work. Luckily for him he collapsed at work where due to the nature of the service I work for had pyschiatrists who after all are trained medical practitioners. Thanks to them he was taken almost immediately to a local A&E ward for emergency heart surgery.
My colleague then had to take 5 months off on enforced sick leave.
I need hardly remind you the reader to step back and think about how his actions resulted in such a serious crisis resulting which frankly could have been avoidable. There are serious lessons to be learned and you the reader of this post MUST ask yourself, "when is enough enough." If you think you can just run and run and run, to infinity and beyond, you are missing the point. My colleague was a conscientious hard working man with a young son aged under 5. The heart attack was a warning to him to mend his ways and rethink his life, his purpose and priorities. Does this sound familiar, am I telling an umcomfortable truth? Sometimes due to our unwillingness to listen to what our bodies are saying to us, you are then confronted with the truth in a way you least expect and at an intensity whereby you have to slow down.

Just back to myself, I had another experience to relate to you also about the message to slow down. I was rushing at speed down swinging Kings Road London. This was back in the early 90's. Suddenly I went flying without warning landing straight on my face. I looked round and saw a guy sitting on a bench who had tripped me up by putting out his foot and I took a tumble to my pride. Yes it was not a nice thing to do, but I was rushing going too quickly. I take the rap for the outcome resulting in my dramatic crash to the pavement, Still I harbour no ill will to anybody. What on earth do you say is the point of this strange diatribe? My response to that is that you can incorporate anecdotes like what I have mentioned here into my own literary projects as they resonate with you my readers lives. It adds credibility and authenticity to what I am sharing here with you. So intimate are my teaching tales as the two examples cited here are based on real events and people.

A word of warning to the wise, please do not take your physical part of you for granted. The sad fact is that a great many people do, look what very sadly happened to Prince one of my favourite rock stars. A wealthy man much loved and respected. He helped many struggling young aspiring singers and lyricists whose gratitude has been flowing in from all over the world. I just wish he had slowed down and dealt with the pain he was experiencing without resorting to tablets just on its own. If you do not take your body for granted you risk serious life threatening injury - paralysis broken leg, bones, serious head injuries so please for all your sakes slow right down in your thoughts your physical movements IE use of your limbs will be adversely affected and so will your financial circumstances - earning power suffer due to the agony being experienced by damaging your joints and limbs generally.

Now for something different to divert you away from my rant over slowing down

I am a writer and I spin tales of human folly as well as consumate greed. I am looking to introduce a new player in my final series of THE Demented Wanderer. Lets say I call this snakey guy The Artful Miser!! He lives in filth and squalor. Inhabiting a rotting dilapidated building dating to the early part of the 19th century. The Artful Miser is an obessive based on a real life character I used to know years ago when I lived in London. He was a close friend of my Grandmother. He inhabited an opulent elegant Nash style building in Regent's Park. Whenever I saw this family friend known since I was aged 8 he always had a penchant for keeping mouldy old "food" fit for bacteria to gorge on. He was worth an estimated 40 million pounds a great deal of money!! Sadly he died recent years aged 90 after an operation where due to poor lifestyle choices, ie drinking far too much - to excess and eating unsafe mouldy dairy and meat products he had one of his legs amputated then he died soon after. There where other medical complications to which I feel are n't appropriate to go into more detail here.
A sad lesson in deliberate self neglect, it need never have happened. My tragic forlorn character lives and embraces his role as a destitute in the chaotic 2030's decade. A rolling stone, vacuous and utterly pointless is his existence. In his seventies he just sits in a chair in a room with mould on the walls, rotten floorboards, and unsafe doors hanging off from their frames, the sanitation does not work, and the lighting is dodgy with aged wiring showing through the plaster. Eating once a day by helping himself to scraps from dustbins outside restaurants and cafes.
What a life eh!! Do you nook confidants know anybody who lives perchance like that??
I will leave it there and will undertake an expanded character profile sketch in a later post.

Finally I want to remind you post devotees irrespective of your religious beliefs to please please slow down. It is so easy for all of us to rush at supercharged speed off to meetings, attending college, looking after the kids, paying our bills, worrying more to the point whether we can. Becoming a bag of nerves on edge, furrowed brows, and miserable to boot. Do you feel I am being unreasonable!? Life itself can be a battle royal. Just staying alive staying healthy mentally and physically can be really hard. I am guessing here that your economic status profile is one of a reasonable income, fairly happy though nervous of the unexpected, as we all need to be prepared for the unexpected to happen. Our lives are so precarious quite honestly, and we can be spirited off stage through death's close embrace at any time.
Years back before I became a social worker in my current incarnation, I worked in the human resources industry in London and I have never forgotten the time when I boarded a London Underground tube to go off to work at around 8 am when I recall seeing a guy in his twenties, my age, sobbing in a distressed state, and nobody dared to look at the poor soul. Everybody's heads were buried in their newspapers. I in retrospect wish I had plucked up the courage to have stood up made my way towards him and given him a hug.Just to show that I cared fellow solidarity with another human being in distress. He seemed so alone - so abandoned. This was 20 years ago, and even back then everybody was so full on so busy unwilling to slow down and acknowledge a fellow human being in distress.
God only knows what happened to him, I hope he found relief and comfort from his distress. Having peace of mind is so important for our wellbeing. If you do not have that what's the use of seeking refuge in accummulating yet more expensive baubles and trinkets and other distractions, just to be in a state of self denial over your feelings. Trust me as an author and human being adding in the toxic mix of being so busy that you risk a life threatening illness such as a stroke or heart attack. Does anybody really want to be in that state? Is that the ultimate reward for all our strivings to achieve peace and happiness in our already stressed pressurised lives?

Solutions to these life dilemmas?

Take time out to read a book which magically transports you away from all your many cares and worries. Is n't that surely is what surfing the likes of Nookboards is about. Immersing yourselves in quality fiction or non fiction. Slowing your movements down to a snails pace - relaxing with a groovy inspiring absorbing book. Now be bold and go for it grab that book from your local library or store and enjoy. My comment here is within the context of you the readers as lovers of good literature? Of course sports of any description or music the performing arts or any activity which slows you down. Oh while your about it if your a city dweller you have the added joy of going to the park or out into the truly gorgeous majestic countryside in your vast country or go kayaking on your fabulous lakes and rivers to slow your body rythms. Meditate is fab you learn slowly to breath deeply full into the chest, let your body switch off from being stiff and tense, take lessons from a competent teacher, do tai chi excellent for slowing down your movements with grace. Hard to do but with practice you will see the benefits over time in improved health. Give these ideas a whirl I am sure I am not telling you stuff you don't already know.

I will sign off and wish you all the best
in my next post I will really you to the core - enough for now as I am not in the business of giving the game way.

your dear humble Nook friend
Alex
Get on down be spontaneous and do it!!