Hello Sweetpeas

A warm welcome to part 2 of my book project exploring the viability of offering a social community service to residential householders and appartment occupiers whether you currently own your home or rent it, to a private or social landlord is of no consequence. What matters is that you have landed on my page of this post, and having read my former introductory post regarding the background thinking to my book which discusses the necessity for a such a scheme, feel its worth taking further. In this post I propose that before I launch into a summary of the service that I incorporate a section on critical debates respecting current debates within the physical disability field. Your own views on this important subject are to be welcomed as a valuable contribution which we cannot afford to ignore. Especially when you take into consideration the fact uncomfortable though it may be, that you the reader of my post and me the author at anytime could become disabled. Good literature is about educating and informing people generally regarding this emotionally charged subject, which intimately affects us all. Hence the importance of Nook Boards in not just providing lively stimulating literary offerings to surprise and challenge, but also to change your way of thinking.
On that point of changing our thinking I would like to mention an event I witnessed when I lived in London England in the 1980's. At that time I was living and working in swinging Chelsea. I remember returning from my lunch break at the local real estate management company I worked at at the time. The incident I am recalling involved 2 members of the public who were waiting at the bus stop on a busy stretch of the Kings Road in Chelsea. In the front of the queue, I saw a blind gentleman with a stick waiting patiently to board the bus to take him to wherever he wanted to go.
Right behind him where 2 males also waiting to board the bus. However, as soon as the bus pulled up outside the bus stop, to my horror the two dudes behind him impatiently grabbed this guy and basically forcibly pushed the poor soul out of the way. Incidentally there was no one else behind these two fruitcakes. A bus conductor witnessed these goings on but did absolutely nothing. The blind gentleman fell over due to the force of these two idiots and from memory the bus drove off leaving him to his own devices.
Fortunately some good samaritans helped this poor soul get back on his feet. The behaviour of these two miscreants was disgraceful. I would have liked to have thrown them to the ground so they could see what it felt like to be treated that way. What would you have done if you witnessed that sort of rogueish behaviour?? In my view speaking as a UK social worker they showed their ignorance for what they were. If they individually had experienced loss of sight I doubt they would have liked to be treated with less consideration than you'd show to the trash you throw into the waste bin.
Moving on I would like to run a case vignette by you for you to chew over. Move your eyes down to the next line.

Case Vignette

Just imagine you are at home. Your family if you the reader have one of school age or possibly young adult children living at your home or you live with a partner, have gone away for a long weekend. You have an understanding with them that they don't need to call you whilst away kayaking in a natural beauty spot. You want whoever you are teamed up with to have a good time. You are on your own at home. On the Saturday morning the day after they have gone on their weekend adventure, you get up wash dress etc, planning to have a pleasant day doing your shopping, browsing in the local antiques market, when in an instant your whole life changes.
In your frantic rush to get on with the busy Saturday's schedule, you charge down the stairs without thinking about what you are doing in so doing carrying your cell phone in your right hand as you gather speed you manage two flights of steps, but as you were not paying attention to your physical environment, unfortunately for you, you missed your footing and fell forwards missing two steps straight onto the hard wooden flooring breaking your right knee joint shin bone/lower right leg due to the force of the impact. Most regretably you manage to break your cell phone as it comes loose from your grip hitting the far wall with the force of demolition ball smashing through a building.
You are immediately in crisis. Nobody knows you are in, your neighbours who live either side of your town house in a busy city centre assume wrongly that you went away with your partner and children, to that adventure holiday in the say Colorado kayaking down one of the rivers. Little do they realise what has happened. Meanwhile back at your home, you are lying in an awkward position, on the floor of the hallway. You cannot move due to the agony you are in. As you fell forward due to the speed and impact of your fall you fell face down onto the hard wooden surface. Both your nose is broken and your jaw fractured. Two of your front teeth have also broken.
Frankly you are in danger. Trapped, lying on the floor, unable to move due to your injuries. Afraid and crying feeling lost and unable to do anything to rectify the dreadful situation you are now in. You will have to wait until your partner/wife has returned from the weekend trip after 8 pm on Sunday night. In the meantime you are unable to do anything but just stay frozen in that position. Your broken right leg is throbbing and when you try to move it you howl in agony. What makes things worse is due to your broken jaw you are unable to scream for help. Oh and just to add to your misery your beloved left the kitchen window open and the doors to both the front lounge and the kitchen open. And by the way 4 wasps are coming your way!!
Your going to get stung and there is nothing you can do about it. Then the inevitable happens, and you receive two stings to the face. The shock of the sting causes you to pass out. Hours later you wake up hungry. You discover you have discharged your bodily functions. What can you do to extricate yourself from this nightmare? Nothing! It is difficult to think of anything you can do. The hours and minutes tick by, though it is summer time in July - it is now getting dark. You have not eaten all day. However in this scenario one thing sustains you - you know they'll be back on Sunday night. Lets put it this way my friends supposing you lived by yourself? Nobody checked up on you, or cared. You lived in an apartment or your own detached town house. What do you think would be the outcome here? Playing devil's advocate speaking as a UK social worker I would surmise that your best chance of survival was scenario number one. For the obvious reason that your family would come home and find you in the state youre in, leading to immediate medical attention.
I got to be honest with you the second scenario spells curtains. Nobody will be coming to your aids possibly for days resulting in the strong prospect of you dying of malnutrion. Especially if the the physical environment was the same in both case examples. Now are you beginning to understand how relevant and necessary it is to consider a service I am promoting in this post. The residential guardian's service may sound ridiculous and pointless; however is it really so pointless should you encounter the nasty scenario raised by me here? No it is definitely not pointless. I am not being alarmist by raising these extremely serious issues as the duty falls on each of us to have a contingency plan in place in the unexpected and unwelcome event of experiencing a potentially life threatening emergency. You must not be niave enough to believe you won't have a serious accident. Of course nobody wants to experience a deeply distressing scenario as outlined above. However, it is still important to know what your options are in the event of something like this happening.

Introduction to The Residential Guardians Service

I have given you an unpleasant but important case scenario of what can seriously go wrong at any moment in your life as reader and my own. When I formulated my idea of the residential guardians service, it was not just haphazardly created on the spur of the moment. I as a UK Social Worker thought outside the box looking critically at the provision of services currently available for physically and sensory disabled people or those who could join their ranks, and felt that we simply do not provide the level of support to them that they deserve.
In my previous post on the background theoretical justification I mentioned the strong impact of social, political/economic and medical science in driving and shaping the debates in this important field as it affects us all.
Whether you the reader like it or not there is a strong statistical likelihood that you will have an increased probability in a ratio 3 to 1 of experiencing a serious physical injury that may lead to disability. This event mentioned at any point in your physical life course.

The Residential Guardians Service

The service follows a simple concept. Essentially it is about offering a back up support service to supplement existing emergency services ie, paramedics, police, and fire service. In addition my concept is not a substitute for social services. However you need to bear in mind that social services in both the USA and in my country the UK increasingly is and will be subject to massive year on year cuts. These public service cuts in funding very likely will continue into the next decade of the 2020's. This basically means that increasingly less money is available to fund the level of necessary support that must of necessity be available for vulnerable individuals who are very elderly or seriously disabled of any age.

Increasingly there is a reliance on non statutory services or services run for profit to step in and fill the shortfall in the provision of services in your country and mine. I am a social worker as already mentioned currently working in England. During 15 years in this extemely demanding and emotionally draining field increasingly my current occupation are taking on the role of gate keeping restricting access to services to only the most needy. In the field I am writing about here; the field of physical disabilities this is no exception. When you review the lack of provision to cover the sort of service support I am recommending here, you can understand why I feel as passionately as I do.