So begins one of my favorite aspects ofwriting a novel; organizing the chapters. This is when I take each separatecharacter and their plotline and read it all in one string instead of beingspaced out in the book. This allows me to flush out any inconsistencies andmake sure the story stays true and along the proper path. I first did this whenI wrote DEGENERATES.That book has so many characters and plotlines that it was nearly impossible tokeep track of everything. I literally wrote seven separate stories, one foreach character, before melding them together to form a coherent novel. This iswhat Iím doing right now for IMAGINATION. Once I get the characters in order,itís just a matter of connecting them with a few key intro sentences and,wallah, the book is nearly complete. Why do I say ďnearlyĒ? Because I still dotwo more final reads. The first final, Iíll read half the book in one sittingat a relatively slow pace looking for any mistakes or errors no matter minuteor insignificant. The next sitting, I will read the second half, looking forthe same things. Then I put the book aside for one week give or take a day andconcentrate on marketing and promoting, putting the manuscript totally out ofmy mind. Then comes the final read day. Iíll plan it on a day when I know Iwonít be disturbed and have nothing pressing to do outside of the house. Iíllwake up early, get a steaming cup of coffee, settle into my comfy chair in thesunroom, place my laptop computer on my thighs, and read as much as I canbefore my eyes bug out or I stop for lunch. Iíll read the book like someone whobought the book; fast and looking to be entertained. Iíll only pause ifsomething really terrible stops me. If I do have to rewrite a paragraph andshift some things around during this phase, I will start the entire processover again, reading from page one. Iíll do this until I can read the entirebook in one sitting without stopping to fix anything. Sound like a long process?It is. Iíve written entire drafts of novels faster than it took me to considerthe book finished after re-reads. You might say Iím a perfectionist, but Iímreally not. For me, finishing a book is like setting a child out into theworld. I want the book/child to be the best it can be and shine far above allthe other competition. So, as I take another sip of coffee and look over thesepages, I wonít know if IMAGINATION will be done in a week or a year. Letís hopeitís the previous, Iíve got lots more new books to write.
http://www.neilostroff.blogspot.com