21st-century woman falls in spring, comes out in Regency England

Mowgli

Wink 21st-century woman falls in spring, comes out in Regency England

My time-travel romance As You Wish features a contemporary American heroine and an English Regency-era hero. Here's the back-cover blurb:

While touring an English estate, American Leah Cantrell finds an antique coin in a spring and tosses it back, casually wishing she knew who originally made a wish with it. The next thing she knows, she slips into the water and finds herself drowning in an abyss.

In 1815, David Traymore, illegitimate son of the Marquess of Solebury, saves Leah from drowning on his father's property. In his view, she's dressed scantily, speaks with a strange accent and talks a lot of nonsense. Is this mysterious woman a madwoman, a French spy, the victim of a crime ... or the answer to his wish?

NookBook page is here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/as-y...=2940012641007

Thank your for considering my book!
    Jen

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Talking

Over the last few months, I finally got around to joining the party and binging on "Downton Abbey." At the same time, I happened to be editing my time-travel As You Wish for a new print version, so I spent a weird couple of weeks immersed in two period dramas set in England, and it struck me how much the houses in both of them dominate the storylines. Of course, there's also an estate/inheritance theme in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, but the house isn't really important in that work.

Anyway, a few thoughts on the topic on my blog here: http://www.jenmalin.com/archives/1352

Please stop by and comment if you have a moment!

Jen

Mowgli

Smile

Part of the romance of the English Regency lies in the elegant manners. People of the era seem more civil than we do today — at first glance, anyway. But think about all the slurs that Lizzie Bennett has to endure in Pride and Prejudice and how satisfying it is that she stands up for herself when expected to bow down to aristocratic snobs. Maybe the real fun comes in smashing up the formalities of the Regency.

I explore a little more on this topic and how it comes to play in As You Wish in a blog post from last summer here: http://www.jenmalin.com/archives/1196

Happy Mother’s Day to those of you who are moms, and an awesome weekend to all!
    Jen

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Talking

When did authors start writing time-travel stories (like As You Wish)? Surprisingly, not long ago at all. Although some earlier stories feature people finding themselves in the future after sleeping a long time or visiting a strange place, Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol was one of the first to have a character travel back in time. Even then, only Scrooge's soul traveled back, not his body.

What 19th-century author wrote the next popular story that took a character back in time, body and all? Find out in my blog post here: http://www.jenmalin.com/archives/1056

Happy reading!
    Jen