Ready to take new Nook Color back to B&N - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Puck

Default Re: Ready to take new Nook Color back to B&N

So my thought is that all the locked wifi that you are seeing are some of your neighbors. If you know your neighbors well, you could ask one if you can use their connection for your colornook. Which means they would have to give you their password...

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Capri142
    OK...so not being the most computer savy person.....If I got a router ( not even sure how to hook one up) would this solve the problem?

The thing we need to know is how do you connect to the internet? You may already have a router, and probably do, but it also may not be wireless. I use a Belkin dual antenna router and I get pretty decent signal all through my house. All I did was buy the router, connect the ethernet cable out of the wall to the input and connected my PC to one of the four outputs. I put the CDRom in the drive that walked me through making it secure by setting the password and I had my nook and my laptop connected in less than 20 minutes. If you have cable internet then you would use the coaxial input into the router, but then you need to make sure that the router you buy has a coaxial input. I think I only spent around $30.00 for my Belkin and the only trouble I have ever had rebooting (turning off and on) it resolved it.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

It sounds like you have a small handful of choices:
    1. Buy a Wi Fi router and hook it up to your internet connection just for your Nook Color.
    2. Find out which of your neighbors has Wi Fi and see if any of them will let you use it.
    3. Purchase all your eBooks on the B&N website on your desktop computer then download and side-load them to your NC.

I would suggest you go with choice 3, as I think it might be the most effective for you.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Well, a sometimes I am in such a hurry that I don't spend the time to figure out how things work before trying them out. In the case of the Color Nook, My big error was thinking that because my amazon Kindle connected with ease, the Nook should as well. Apples and Oranges. The Kindles as some one kindly pointe out connects completely different animal. Sooooo, once I stopped to think about things and take a deep breath it all became clear. Go hang out at B&N or a Starbucks and Use my Nook for wi-fi connections there. Download books directly from the PC or I could learn something about routers and such and see if I could put one in myself. After spending awhile with a young man down at the Computer Store I walked out knowing more about routers and wireless connections than I needed along with a braqnd new router, not too cheap but not to fancy or expensive. Brought it home and with the software that guides one through the installation process, it was up and running in a matter of minutes.....I'm WiFi connected now. The Color Nook is is up and running. Now all I have to do is figure out how to navigate around in it. Thanks to everyone who replied to my original, frustrated, posting.

You're welcome.

Regards,
    Michael
    'Not all who wander are lost.'
    ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

CURRENTLY READING: A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Glad to see you were willing to learn and apply your new knowledge. I'm sure you will find it worth the effort. Enjoy your nook Color!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12