Can nook color play videos?

Oliver

Default Can nook color play videos?

Hi,
    I've had my nook for a week now and have been trying to install the new software version with no success. I have even tried the copy and paste method that is on the board...called tech support and the store. Will be going back to the store again tomorrow as they say they will try there. (I was in there over the weekend because my USB cable cord had exposed wires at the light indicator end and the store swapped it out for me.
    Hopefully I'll get the software update tomorrow when I go in.
    I have also been trying to watch TV programs (videos) from my itunes library on my nook color without success. I sideloaded them but after getting an error msg I called tech support and they told me I need to convert the m4v to mp4 with a video software converter. I went through all that only to find out that many videos on itunes are copyrighted and can't be converted. Frustrating, OK but what can I watch? I can't even watch a youtube video on my nookcolor right now. I get an error msg that this video can not be played. Is there something I am missing?
    Can my nook color play videos or not? And if so-what is that I need to do?
    I have read on boards that people are watching videos etc but how?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Can nook color play videos?

Ok, go to m.youtube.com to watch videos. That is the mobile version and those can be watched on Nookcolor. Can't say much for the quality tho as they are not really made with nookcolor in mind.

Oliver

I will try that. Thank you.
    Does anyone know if there are upgrades coming that will enable nookcolor to play video?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

believe flash is coming, so that will enable a lot of things...

Puck

These are the settings/software to use to ensure a video file can play on the NC.

https://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=4676.0

However that assumes that nothing is preventing the video file from being converted (like iTunes DRM) if you don't have permission to convert the file, and it doesn't naturally play on the NC, then there's nothing you can really do.... (unless you feel comfortable trying to strip the DRM off the movie, but that's between you and the google search you run for more info.)

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade View Post
    ...I have also been trying to watch TV programs (videos) from my itunes library on my nook color without success. I sideloaded them but after getting an error msg I called tech support and they told me I need to convert the m4v to mp4 with a video software converter. I went through all that only to find out that many videos on itunes are copyrighted and can't be converted. Frustrating, OK but what can I watch? I can't even watch a youtube video on my nookcolor right now. I get an error msg that this video can not be played. Is there something I am missing?
    Can my nook color play videos or not? And if so-what is that I need to do? I have read on boards that people are watching videos etc but how?
    If you want to play your purchased iTunes videos, movies, and TV shows on the nook tablet, you should do something in advance cause the Apple uses DRM (Digital Right Managemet) to protect their copy-right. Copy-protection methods are supposed to stop pirating, but in reality it locks buyers to the seller's will. SO i just mean you need to strip drm from your itunes videos first.

Finally, if you really need to put itunes tv shows and movies to your nook color for personal use, the DRM remover ChewTune will make free itunes videos out of DRM-protected contents. I find a detailed thread "Get Movies/TV Shows off of your iTunes and onto your Nook Color" you can refer to.

d'Artagnan

I have never had a problem playing youtube on my nc. Since rooting it, I also watch netflix streaming on it. The nc isn't quite fast enough for this to be 100% enjoyable, but it is
    definitely worth it to keep the kids quiet on planes (when they aren't playing angry birds or crush the castle that is) I understand that the nook tablet is faster and netflix works better with it, so I assume other videos will work better with it as well. As for music, I just turned all my cds into mp3 files and stored them on my server. Now I download them as needed to where ever I need them. I listen to them on my 3g nook all the time.

Oliver

iTunes video have DRM protection , some video converter can not converted, but iSoftcoupon DRM Removal can help you remove DRM protection, and convert M4V to MP4 for your Nook Color

If the files are not DRM protected, the problem can simply be fixed by renaming them and changing the extension from .m4v to .mp4.

The M4V file container is just a form of MP4 file container with optional DRM protection. Without that DRM protection added in, the files, quite literally, are just an MP4 file container named M4V.

If the files were purchased through the iTunes Store (or a similar commercial Online store) they most likely have DRM protection, in which case, you can either take the time to use one of the DRM removal programs listed above ... or ... you can sit and hope that Apple finally relinquishes their horrible deathgrip on Quicktime and releases a plugin/version for Android-based products. But that will probably never happen.