Did I buy a lemon? Should I return my NookColor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oliver

Default Did I buy a lemon? Should I return my NookColor?

Hello,
    I purchased a NookColor this weekend. I cannot get it to update to 1.1.0 for the life of me. It is running version 1.0.1. I have precisely followed the posted BN directions for performing an upgrade. I have tried the update connecting to different computers (XP and Win7). I have downloaded the file multiple times. I have searched this forum and followed the various different techniques & suggestions by other forum members. The 'Sideload_update.zip' file will consistently disappear from the root of the MyNOOKColor drive. Nothing I have tried will get the device will not update.

The other reason I think this device is a lemon is it appears to be missing RAM. The BN sales rep told me it was an 8GB device. I confirmed on BN's website the NookColor has 8GB of RAM. However when I go into the device properties, my device only has 5GB of RAM.

My suspicion is I got a device with defective (or missing RAM). Since it does not have the full 8GB, the update will not run.

Am I thinking correctly, or am I missing something obvious? The BN store is 40 miles away, and I don't want to make the road trip in haste.

Thank you,
    -Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Did I buy a lemon? Should I return my NookColor?

It can't have 8GB of RAM.

Most desktop computers (and laptops) don't even have 8GB of RAM.

8 GB of RAM is A LOT. lol

I think you must be referring to its storage capacity.
    aka "hard drive".

Storage capacity (Hard drive/SD card) and RAM (memory) are 2 completely different things.

Maybe read up on these things and learn what you're actually trying to do first.

RAM has nothing to do with your updates or how much your nook can hold.

'Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.'~Mark Twain

Mad Hatter

Hi Eric and welcome to NOOKBOARDS... Sorry to hear about your issues. Have you thought about calling B&N CS (digital support)?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookco...res/techspecs/

Expandable Storage
    8GB*** (up to 6000 eBooks) built in memory.
    Expand your memory up to 32GB with microSD™ memory card.

Donna

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmose
    Maybe read up on these things and learn what you're actually trying to do first.
    RAM has nothing to do with your updates or how much your nook can hold.
    Oh, gee. I misspoke. I will stand corrected with 8GB of flash storage, as opposed to RAM. Somehow I suspect you knew what I was talking about though.

Thank you for chastising me and making me feel welcome on this forum.

Puck

You've gotta be careful what you say around the techies Actually the NC is an 8gb device however only 5gb are usable (to you) as 3 of 8 gb are used up by operating system/device. In order to troubleshoot the upgrade, I suggest using the B&N instructions from their site and to be patient (nothing appears to be going on for a few minutes during the upgrade). It also would be helpful to have more details as to what you do exactly and any system response messages you encounter.

I would also consider taking it to your local B&N to see if they can help you as B&N telephone tech support can be a crap shoot

Stick around these boards, I think you'll find more nice people than not. Ahmose is a great guy and a good source of technical information although he often comes across as flippant, I don't believe that was his intention with you.

d'Artagnan

Hi Eric, don't worry about the ram/rom thing, we got your back.
    So couple things I was pondering:
    Did you try update procedure after completely rebooting the unit (holding power till asks to shutdown then boot back up again)?
    Did you open the zip just to verify that it really remains a zip file yet (I've had some OS's automatically unzip stuff, grrr)?
    Maybe as a last resort you could do the reset procedure to see if it allows the update to proceed?

I've never had to factory reset but repeated what I found below (there's also the 8x reboot reset, again never had to do that one either so don't trust me as I'm talking from ignorance here):

To reset to factory stock, turn the 100% charged Nook off (shut down and wait a bit, 10 secs) and then hold
    down the power button and the n (home button) at the same time (power first, then home)
    until the reader restarts. You should see the notification for reset.

Good luck and let us know if you get it updated.
    peace out...

Eric it sounds like you are doing the manual update correctly. After you drop the zip file to the root are you unplugging it and letting it sit and go into sleep mode? It will then install the update and autoreboot itself when the update is completed. You can see if the update is installed by going to device setting about.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by phlieger
    In order to troubleshoot the upgrade, I suggest using the B&N instructions from their site and to be patient (nothing appears to be going on for a few minutes during the upgrade). It also would be helpful to have more details as to what you do exactly and any system response messages you encounter.
    I have followed the on-line manual upgrade instructions to the letter. Several times. The file copies to the device correctly, I can see it in the directory. I then do the safe device disconnect. The NC eventually goes to sleep. Even when left overnight, the upgrade does not happen. When I reconnect the NC, the transferred zip file is gone.

I do not get any error messages on either the PC or the NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Knick Knack
    Did you try update procedure after completely rebooting the unit (holding power till asks to shutdown then boot back up again)?
    Did you open the zip just to verify that it really remains a zip file yet (I've had some OS's automatically unzip stuff, grrr)?
    Maybe as a last resort you could do the reset procedure to see if it allows the update to proceed?
    I have tried a complete shut down and reboot. No luck.

I have verified the zip file downloaded completely. I unzipped it on my PC to confirm I got a clean download. Yes, I only copied the zip file over, not the unzipped contents. Furthermore, I downloaded it twice on different PCs as a test.

I will try the reset procedure you described. I wouldn't think a brand new in the box device would need that.....but I have seen stranger technology problems before.

Thanks,
    -Eric

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by emichael
    I will try the reset procedure you described. I wouldn't think a brand new in the box device would need that.....but I have seen stranger technology problems before.

Thanks,
    -Eric
    agreed, haha. This stuff should just work! Crossing my fingers on this end!
    peace out...

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by emichael
    Factory reset successfully performed. The NC will still not update to version 1.1.0.

I did notice something interesting. I re-downloaded the Sideload_update.zip file from BN's support website: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pre...oad_update.zip Note, the directory is labeled "v1.1"

I again followed the proper steps for installation. After letting the NC sleep I did get the 'green n' in the lower left corner of the screen. I touched it and it said the software was successfully updated to 1.0.1!

I reviewed the files within the Sideload_update.zip. They are date stamped 10/13/2010 2:29pm. I thought the 1.1.0 update released a few weeks ago, sometime in February. Furthermore, it is my understanding the 1.0.1 update came out shortly after the NookColor released, last fall.

To sum up... The Sideload_update.zip file I downloaded in March appears to be from October. The update appears to take, yet only updates to 1.0.1.

For additional troubleshooting.....

I contacted the local BN this morning. They assured me that tech support is 24x7 and I should call from home this evening. No problem, I called tech support around 8pm PST. After I went through the prompts, the system told me the support center is only open business hours and is currently closed.

So I called the store and talked to the manager. She was surprised the support center was closed. She took my number, checked for herself, and called me back.

The manager had her resident Nook store geek call me from home on his day off. Customer service kudos where it is due for the Washington Square store in Oregon. He proceeded to walk me through the same steps I had performed before. His final recommendation: Return the NookColor.

He did promise me a replacement would be fully updated by him personally. I certainly appreciate that customer service effort. However, if the device does not update, what would I do when the next version is released - and I no longer have the return option for the device?

So I guess I did answer my own questions. I did buy a lemon and I should return the NookColor. Given this experience, I am not sure I want a replacement.

Thank you to everyone for your advice,
    -Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast