Puck

Default XAVC S Avid: Can Avid MC import XAVC-S MP4 from Sony AX100

XAVC S Avid: Can Avid MC import XAVC-S MP4 from Sony AX100

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

XAVC S Avid: Can Avid MC import XAVC-S MP4 from Sony AX100

Description: As far as I know the latest 4k XAVC S video format introduced by Sony is still not supported well by Avid Media Composer so far. If you want to import Sony FDR-AX100 4K XAVC S files to Avid for editing with native Avid DNxHD format, Pavtube XAVC S Video Converter provides a brief instruction.

Now Sony has launched the first consumer camcorder to shoot 4K (Ultra HD) footage – the Sony FDR-AX100. It captures this in Sony's own XAVC-S file format. This uses an MP4 container and H.264 video, along with 2-channel PCM audio. The format is widely supported by the usual video editors, but it looks like you'll need top-end software to handle it – such as Avid Media Composer – rather than the more downmarket options.

Sony FDR-AX100's XAVC S codec video is MP4 format. The Mac editor Avid Media Composer support MP4 video importing although, the XAVC S video codec is still a new one for Avid MC.

Hi, I have Sony FDR-AX100 camera for 4K recordings. I cant AMA link to any of my footage as the format is not supported by Avid. And the AX100 which my friends planned to buy also uses this XAVC-S codec. So I'm confused by the XAVC-S/Avid AMA workflow.

Since you will have problem for importing Sony XAVC-S videos into Avid MC even with the AMA Plug-in, to make things easier, you had better to transcode Sony FDR-AX100 XAVC-S footage to a more editing-friendly format, such as Avid Media Composer's DNxHD .mov.

To convert Sony AX100 4K XAVC S MP4 to Avid DNxHD MOV on Mac OS X Yosemite, Pavtube (Sony XAVC S) Video Converter for Mac is highly recommended for its simplicity, efficiency and reliable workflow.