Finally took the plunge and rooted last night. - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    d'Artagnan

Default Re: Finally took the plunge and rooted last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Desiree49
    What is the advantage of rooting your Nook?
    It allows you to run Angry Birds.
    peace out...

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Knick Knack
    It allows you to run Angry Birds.
    Ha! And yes, a most important feature. Especially Angry Birds Seasons.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Mr. Darcy

Angry Birds.. yes.. also the Kindle App.. It's nice to have a choice of bookstores..

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

I just took the plunge and did this today (before we head out for the Holidays...)

Just an FYI to anyone wanting to try this, make sure to use a dedicated SD card reader. Don't use the Nook Color as your dedicated card reader. Using the Nook Color as the card reader messes up how it writes on the SD card and it won't boot up in the new way on the Nook Color.

Time to find those Angry Birds :-)

I went ahead and rooted mine last night. :cancan: Strange because I had no intention of rooting the NC. I did intend to root my classic nook and never did. Though I think I will do that next. I scared myself when I tried to start the color after rooting because I couldn't get it to start. About the third time I hit the power button it worked. I was on the verge of full blown panic.

I have to say I think it was worth the momentary panic. I don't have a smart phone and have never really used apps so I have Google Reader and Angry birds. I am about to get ez PDF. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Things that are fun, cool or really useful?

(This smiley has no purpose, but I loved it so I put it in anyway.)

Mowgli

I have a You Tube/Gmail linked account. Do I also need to change my BN account email address to the same gmail account? If I do change the email address will I loose the ebooks in my BN account?

Quote Originally Posted by love2read
    I have a You Tube/Gmail linked account. Do I also need to change my BN account email address to the same gmail account? If I do change the email address will I loose the ebooks in my BN account?
    You don't have to use the same email. My gmail account for B&N is different than my YouTube/Gmail account and I had no problems.

Mowgli

My BN account is attached to a yahoo account. Do I need to switch it to a gmail address?

Also I've been reading the instructions on how to Root. It says after the Rooting process is done I will no longer be able to buy books from my BN account, how do I get the BN books then?

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

"Before rooting, you need to complete BN's registration process, you will not be able to link your NC to your BN account to buy books after rooting."

My BN account is attached to a yahoo account. Do I need to switch it to a gmail address?
    No, I mentioned mine was gmail just in case anybody else was wondering about not just having two email addresses but two gmail addresses.

"Before rooting, you need to complete BN's registration process, you will not be able to link your NC to your BN account to buy books after rooting."
    I just went to the B&N website and bought a free book and it sync to my rooted color fine. I never buy from the device, but since I didn't have any trouble I assuming that meant you couldn't register your nook after rooting.

Mowgli

I still haven't rooted. I've been trying to figure out all the instructions be I start. So far I'm not understanding certain parts so I didn't want to start until I think I have it figured out.

So as long I don't buy directly from the device, I can still buy from my computer so the book is in my account. Then from my BN account I can send the book to my NC?

I know all other book get sideloaded, and I know how to do that.

I'm not understanding how to properly download the Win32DiskImage.exe zip file and how to get what I need onto the SD card.

For some reason my computer wanted to download everything as a picture file and open it in Kodak Easy Share. My husband changed that for me so now I have to try again download the Win32DiskImage.exe.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast