Finally took the plunge and rooted last night.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    d'Artagnan

Default Finally took the plunge and rooted last night.

Because I literally could not put up with the stock Android browser one second longer, and watching a Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. Rooted Nook video pretty much sealed the deal for me.

I used auto-nooter and it was pretty painless. I had to sideload the BN 1.0.1 update so the root would work properly.
    After rooting it, I initially had some trouble getting the Android Marketplace to download my apps, but powering off the device did the trick, and everything worked fine. The device rooted with Android 2.2 was smooth like butter, and the Dolphin HD browser was an amazing experience.

BN did an EXCELLENT job on this device. The screen, the hardware, the internals. I can see myself happy with the NookColor for a very, very long time.

Unfortunately, when I went to the BN shop, something happened and BN reset my device. I didn't lose my root, but rather, I lost ALL of my BN and sideloaded books and content. That includes the apps and the new browser I downloaded. I swear, my heart sank when I opened up the web and saw that ugly stock browser there, I wanted to cry.

So in order to get my BN stuff back, I had to completely wipe the device and restore it to factory settings.
    The root disappeared after the first hard reset, but getting BN to recognize the device and let me re-register it took a few more tries. I'm not sure what happened and why going to the BN store caused this. A quick check at XDA told me that a couple of people had this problem, but as far as I know, I was the first to have it with the BN update.

It was a pain and a headache and I was furious with the BN store to resetting my device, but even having it rooted for 5 minutes was completely worth it, and I'm going back in this morning! Wish me luck.
    Currently Reading:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Series

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: Finally took the plunge and rooted last night.

WOW.. I just saw a video of a rooted NC. It works like a regular tablet...a good one! BN should re think their stance on this. At $250 this would be the best tablet in the under $500 category for sure.

Mowgli

Can you post the link you used to root your Nook Color? I have looked at a few of them and they seem hard to do. I have read that people that rooted it could not longer take advantage of anything in store, like reading for an hour and some of the other instore features. But I don't think that would bother me. I don't usually take it there anyway.

I haven't been able to decide if I wanted to wait until it was upgraded to Android 2.2 before rooting or do it now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

I fully intended to wait for 2.2, and honestly, if it's a really good update and we can install a browser of our choice, I wouldn't hesitate to remove the root and go back to BN stock. All of the "extras" with the root are nice for sure and I'm happy that I have them, but it's not really what I bought the device for.
    But the stock browser is a joy kill for me. I can't stand tap to zoom.

It does disable the read in store feature, but I have my NookClassic for that anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

I used the auto-nooter method of rooting. I'm scared about things like this, but it really was easy. And once I had the image written on my sd card, I left it on there, and it took me less than 10 minutes to root the device the second time around.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872490
    Currently Reading:

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Now you're really tempting me!

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Puck

excited to read this, LOL. i have been reading up on others who have rooted as well and they are extremely pleased with what the NC can do. i am not the techy person and would probably freak out while trying to root but i do think i will be even more in love with my NC after 2.2
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210#
    http://cheapereads.blogspot.com/

d'Artagnan

Believe me, I'm a typical nerd, not a geek. I love READING about gadgets and spending hours trolling on sites reading about the ins and outs of tech development, but I fail when it comes to actually implementing the stuff.

I actually panicked during the first step and was scared to write the image on the SD card. My husband took over and showed me how to do it in 30 seconds, and then I felt idiotic. He told me to just take my time and work through it.

The thing is, you really can't mess up your Nook in any way during the first couple of steps, because it isn't even connected.

So now it's rooted successfully for now. I'm playing with it a bit, trying to figure out which apps I want, which launcher I want to put on there, etc. Very exciting. I do believe I'm a little addicted.
    Currently Reading:

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Tiny Tim

What is the advantage of rooting your Nook?

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Desiree49
    What is the advantage of rooting your Nook?
    For me, the main advantage was being able to install the Dolphin browser over the stock Nook browser. I spend a lot of time on the NC in web programs, reading the LA Times, comics, and news blogs, so it was worth it for me to have a better browsing experience.

For other people, having access to the Android marketplace with apps, games, and tools is another reason. Being able add additional homescreens and really customize your device to fit your needs is a strong plus.

Currently Reading:

Next up:
    The Entire Oz Series

Tiny Tim

Quote Originally Posted by wldct69
    WOW.. I just saw a video of a rooted NC. It works like a regular tablet...a good one! BN should re think their stance on this. At $250 this would be the best tablet in the under $500 category for sure.
    BN doesn't need to re-think their position on this because their position IS to make the NC a full-on tablet. But they don't want to crash head-to-head with Apple so they market the NC as a color ereader while in the background BN is putting the pieces in place to unleash the NC's full tablet potential.

Very smart move by BN. They know that any frontal assault against the iPad would immediately prove fatal. THAT would be a shame because of the great hardware of both nooks. So release the NC as a color ereader that happens to do a few other things on the side.

I suspect that when the Android Market is permitted to be accessed by non-3G Android devices the NC will be in the sweet spot to really take off.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast