Cell Standby?

Thread: Cell Standby?

Default Cell Standby?

I found an option in the "Nookcolor Tools," that lets you see battery use details. One of the drains is "Cell Standby." I found where some people say they have turned it off and yesterday my nook batter was down to 44% and 51% of that was supposed to be used by "Cell Standby."

Have any of you turned it off and if so how hard is it? I found the script but don't know exactly what to do with it or really trust it for that matter. Why wouldn't B&N get rid of the cell standby if it doesn't do anything?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tiny Tim

Default Re: Cell Standby?

Rather than the script, you can use Root Explorer to rename the following two files:

/system/app/Phone.apk
    /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk

My suggestion would be to rename them to Phone.bak and TelephonyProvider.bak, if you wish. However, there's a discussion going on now at xda as to whether or not renaming them actually improves battery life. I fall in the latter camp, that renaming does nothing. Even though the service may be running, without a cellphone radio in the device it's not going to be causing any battery drain. (I say this based on 25 years of experience in the wireless communications business.)

Ok, so the OS is assuming that percent of battery drain based on what it would be if there was a radio? Thanks. I will probably not mess around with it then.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Even without the radio you'd still see some battery drain just from the apps running in the background. I guess the real question would be if the lack of radio forces the apps to run harder because they're constantly trying to communicate with it. And also whether the amount of drain is really significant in the over all operations of the nook.