Rooting - does your B&N account have to be linked to gmail/yahoo email?

Tiny Tim

Default Rooting - does your B&N account have to be linked to gmail/yahoo email?

I've read in a few different "how to root.." threads something like the following:

"You must have a Gmail account and a YouTube account that is linked to that Gmail account (furthermore, if you used the gmail email to create your Barnes Noble account, it must be the same Gmail that is linked to the YouTube account as well)"

Why is that? The email account on my B&N account is NOT gmail or yahoo, but I do have a youtube account that IS linked to a gmail account.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Default Re: Rooting - does your B&N account have to be linked to gmail/yahoo email?

I agree with you. As far as I can tell this was just really badly worded instructions that got propagated over and over by other websites.
    My email account on my B&N account is not gmail and I rooted just fine with autonooter 3.0.
    I think the trick is to look at this version, "In case you used a Google account to register your Nook Color with Barnes & Noble, you should use that one."
    Emphasis on "In case you used a Google account to register". I did not use a gmail account to register so ignored the rest of that sentence.
    peace out...

Tiny Tim

Default Re: Rooting - does your B&N account have to be linked to gmail/yahoo email?

I guess I'm confused with the whole Android market thing.
    I haven't rooted my NC yet, but was poking around on the android market (market.android.com), logged in with my existing gmail account. I did this on my PC
    I went to see if I could buy something, and it told me there weren't any android phones/devices associated with this account. I saw nowhere where I could do that.

Is that something that is part of the autonooter process? Something you do FROM the device?
    And once everything is set up can you buy apps from the android market rogt from the NC like you do with B&N's shopp, or do you download on the PC and then install whille tethered?

Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

I've purchased from Android Market on my G2 (android phone) and charges occur against that phone bill.
    So in my case, I can buy from my nook on android market since it will just charge on the associated cell phone.
    I have no idea how it works without this. Hopefully someone on the board will jump in with a solid answer.

If I were to hazard a guess with the upcoming 2.2 update (which is claimed to have an android market component), purchases would likely be charged against your B&N account. That would be really cool actually. No cell phone association required, theoretically.
    peace out...

Tom Sawyer

I bought a book after rooting and it worked just fine.

I'll be honest, I did the root to see what all the hooplah was about and, as a tablet, I'm not so impressed with android. Web os (hp) and Ios (ipad) are far better systems. the store isn't great, it's hard to locate anything, unless you know exactly what you're looking for and most of the "must have" apps are the same as the must haves for apple and palm (hp) devices, which I already have.

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur
    I bought a book after rooting and it worked just fine.
    So you bought an ebook off the Android market?
    Do you have an android phone associated with your gmail account you registered your nook with?
    Or were you somehow able to use a credit card?
    peace out...

Tom Sawyer

no, I bought a book with the nook color, thru barnes and noble.

Quote Originally Posted by Knick Knack
    I think the trick is to look at this version, "In case you used a Google account to register your Nook Color with Barnes & Noble, you should use that one."
    Actually I have a gmail address for my B&N account and used a different gmail address to root.