Once you root, how does the Android Market work (gmail acct, paying, etc..)

Tiny Tim

Default Once you root, how does the Android Market work (gmail acct, paying, etc..)

This kind of spawned from another discussion but I thought it best to start its own topic.

I have not rooted my nook color (NC) yet, still a tad hesitant to take the plunge. But let me ask this question, laying the facts out:

1) My NC is indeed registered, but the email account attached to my B&N account is a Comcast email account (****@comcast.net), not gmail.
    2) I Do have a gmail account, which is tied to my youTube account ( I remember reading that it's important to have that for the market).

Now, once I root my NC, how exactly to you go about browsing, purchasing, and downloading apps?

Will there be an app on the NC similar to B&N's shopping store?

I went to market.android.com and was able to log in with my gmail account but can find no settings anywhere that tie the account to either a device (maybe you do that FROM the device?) or to any kind of payment information.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

Default Re: Once you root, how does the Android Market work (gmail acct, paying, etc..)

you need your gmail account for the android market. I use my company email for BN purchases so you can have two emails when you root.

the market place is found under the extras button on the nook. you tap it and head to the market where they list the apps. The layout of the market place is lame, in my opinion. I'm used to the app store for apple devices and the web os app store for palm/hp. I've also used the blackberry app store and the android version is a pita compared to the others but that's just me not being used to it, I guess.

Oliver

Default Re: Once you root, how does the Android Market work (gmail acct, paying, etc..)

As Crakeur stated you need a google account to use the Marketplace.
    As a shortcut to browsing the Android Market on any web enabled device you can also use the website. https://market.android.com/
    Using this link you would logon using your Google account associated with your nook and if your nook is connected to WiFi any applications you select to install via the website will be automatically pushed to your Nook. If you own any other Android devices you would have a device list right before you click install. You would select "Phone" which is the device shown for most rooted Nooks. Any applications purchased through the marketplace can be used on multiple devices as long as you use the same account.

The website is very nice and includes sections for Apps, Games, and Books. It also shows ratings, and separation between free and paid.

Take care.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

@ markyodo: Welcome to NOOKBOARDS and thanks for the info.

Donna

Mr. Darcy

I just ran into the same problem. I went to the site for Android 3 and WOW! This is not a Nook Color Problem - in fact Android is saying it"s not a n Android problem but it is a google code problem. There were around 200 posts from people complaining about this problem - and it affected most devices (phones -tablets-ereaders-etc). As of last night - nothing had been done by google. According to the posts there are a lot of angry people. Hope this helps - at least you now know what the problem is. Richard
    Currently Reading - Fiction: The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner

Mr. Darcy

So if you buy somthing off the market with your NC where does the bill go? I've never bought an app before so I'm not sure how it works but I want to get root explorer off the market and it's a paid app.
    Thanks in advance.

Tom Sawyer

your credit card gets billed.