Help with setting up Android market after SD Honeycomb root

Oliver

Default Help with setting up Android market after SD Honeycomb root

Any help would be greatly appreciated here... I have a 6 year old who has been waiting for Daddy to get the chess program from Android Market and a 4 year old hoping to watch me play Angry Birds....

So I rooted Honeycomb with the SD card method lae last night but I was confused about the Android market directions. SO I think I have to set up the android emulator on my computer, follow the steps given in command prompt, and the add this image to the SD card? Can I write to the same SD card with Honeycomb on it? I realize there are plenty of directions available, but they apparently assume a certain basic knowledge I don't have or else it was 2 am and was just too tired to figure it out...

Any one with any help to offer? Thanks so much and God Bless....

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Default Re: Help with setting up Android market after SD Honeycomb root

You are essentially correct. You need to install ADB on your computer in order to install the market on the Honeycomb SD and yes, you will write to the Honeycomb SD card. The SD card is like the C: drive in your computer, the Honeycomb operati

These instructions will help to install ADB fairly easily:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=910008

The only hitch I had, was the path it inserts in the Windows Environment Variables didn't work. To get around this from the command prompt, just change to the folder where ADB.exe is located and execute the commands.

Once you have ADB installed, here are instructions for installing the market complete with the file downloads you need:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/barn...r-sd-card.html

You will need to scroll down to the relevant section. Works like a charm. Good luck!

Oliver

Thanks for the help... but of course, the first download is struggling for me. It won't find the driver program, and I have uninstalled the drive in device manager many times... it's just not meant to be...or my hair is meant to be pulled out

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Were you able to download the file and run the nookcolor-easyADB.exe file? If so, when you connect your nook what happens? Their instructions assume that this is the first time your PC has seen the device.

If the device is already listed in Device Manager, you do not need to delete it first, you can just update the driver. Depending on your version of Windows, right click on the device in Device Manager and choose Update Driver Software then follow their instructions from step 4. Alternatively, you can click Properties, then click the Driver tab and select Update Driver. At that point you can follow their instructions or just point it right at the directory where the files extracted.

Of course, I'm just assuming that this is the problem you have, if you give me more info, then maybe I can be of more help.

Oliver

Thanks so much to everyone trying to help this computer hating person...

Anyway, now I have successfully installed adb and it communicates with the nook. I placed the 2 files- vending.apk and googleserviceframework in the platform folder, by saving them directly there. I cannot figure out how to open a command prompt from within that folder but checked the path through the variables menu in advanced system, and this said command prompt's path was the adb-platform folder. So I opened command prompt from the start menu, and attempted to put in the commands. I've tried on 3 computers- one unpacked the vending download and but was unable to find googleservicerframework and now, on the last 2 computers (don't ask ) it couldn't fin vending .apk.

Any suggestions or help? Again thanks- it just seems like I'm jinxed

Oliver

Never mind- I finally figure it out- next computer i tried it on had vista and allowed me to hit shift and right click to open command prompt within that folder...that solved the problem. Thanks for the help...

Mad Hatter

@ couch_brownie: Thanks for posting and letting us know of your resolution... I think you are way geekier than I - The scary part is I am the 'moderator' for this (sub) board.

Enjoy your NC and get to playing chess and Angry Birds with your kidz.

Donna

Mr. Darcy

I just ran into the same problem. I went to the site for Android 3 and WOW! This is not a Nook Color Problem - in fact Android is saying it"s not a n Android problem but it is a google code problem. There were around 200 posts from people complaining about this problem - and it affected most devices (phones -tablets-ereaders-etc). As of last night - nothing had been done by google. According to the posts there are a lot of angry people. Hope this helps - at least you now know what the problem is. Richard
    Currently Reading - Fiction: The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner