Is It REALLY Worth It? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Is It REALLY Worth It?

I really am ahead of myself. I read something and thought "Hey that sounds good - I'll try it" I should have totally studied it before jumping.

No I did NOT softroot my Nook Color. Could/would you (or anyone) please direct me to where I can find out what I need to do - to softroot my Nook - AND anything else I should do.

Kevin/Donna I would have a BRICK for a Nook if it were not for your help. Thank You

Again - for those that read this post - Is what you receive by rooting worth what you get in return?
    Currently Reading - Fiction: The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by rich2704 (Richard)
    Could/would you (or anyone) please direct me to where I can find out what I need to do - to softroot my Nook - AND anything else I should do.
    Richard, I have only heard GOOD things about rooting the NC... If you want to wait to hear about what others say, I am sure they will be glad to tell you their thoughts.

Here's the link for the NC autonooter method:

http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/05/how...nooter-method/

If you do the above and wind up installing Honeycomb on an memory card (as I provided below), allows you to be in normal when you don't have the memory card in. Please read more about that in the original link I provided (Before You Begin item # 2).

Donna

Mr. Darcy

1, I used to teach high school - and i would always tell my students - "there is no such thing as a dumb question". Well i have a "dumb" question. I 'finally" rooted my Nook Color w/Honeycomb. I used a 16gb Sandisk SDHC memory card. The system appears to be working fine. (although i am unable to access the MARKET. AFTER SOME RESEARCH i FOUND THAT THIS A BIG ISSUE with a lot of android devices - it appears to be a code issue with google. There are a lot of unhappy customers - and its affecting most devices running android OS 3) Anyway my question - so I'm running Honeycomb -[b]HOW do i get back to my Nook Color system w/o having to change my memory card?[/b]
    2. When I download apps - where are they stored - internal or external memory?
    3. And finally - I downloaded the Kindle App - does this mean I can download AND READ my Kindle 3 books?
    4. I'm really not sure if all of this is a good idea for the Vets I'm working with - most 60+ / most disabled. I just need to find out if the benefits outweigh the effort. And again any comments or observations are greatly appreciated. Richard
    Currently Reading - Fiction: The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by rich2704 (Richard)
    1, I used to teach high school - and i would always tell my students - "there is no such thing as a dumb question". Well i have a "dumb" question. I 'finally" rooted my Nook Color w/Honeycomb. I used a 16gb Sandisk SDHC memory card. The system appears to be working fine. (although i am unable to access the MARKET. AFTER SOME RESEARCH i FOUND THAT THIS A BIG ISSUE with a lot of android devices - it appears to be a code issue with google. There are a lot of unhappy customers - and its affecting most devices running android OS 3) Anyway my question - so I'm running Honeycomb -[b]HOW do i get back to my Nook Color system w/o having to change my memory card?[/b]
    Hi Richard... Again, I have not done this... But from what I read, it indicates that if you are running Honey via a memory card and don't want to use it that you must take out the memory card before turning the NC on and you will boot into normal mode.

Donna

Oliver

From the perspective of a new user with basic but not very deep technical skills -- why are you trying to put HoneyComb on your Nook Color if the purpose is to evaluate it for low-tech users? I did the autonooter operation on mine and it does everything that I need and more than most users will need. I set up a pre-existing gmail account on the machine plus started voice and youtube as I recall. The market works and I have been able to download both paid and free aps (Kindle, Audible, NPR, no problems so far...). I think I added a credit card when I first opened the market but can't remember for sure if I had already added it to the Gmail account. The stock plus autonooter combo is lovely IMHO. I keep reading various boards and figure I will eventually try one of the SD card options but my 90yo mom also has one and so far she is quite happy with the unrooted version. She reads books, listens to Pandora and plays Sudoku. If I do root hers, it will mostly be to add Audible and Kindle books and I'm hoping that at least Audible will be included in the B&N store.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12