Is It REALLY Worth It?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Is It REALLY Worth It?

1. I just spent 5 hours tring to install HONEYCOMB on my Nook Color - to no avail.
    2. I used the xda website
    3. I downloaded Win32diskimager
    4. I used a 4gb Sandisk SDHC
    5. I Downloaded the Honeycomb Image File
    6. I unzipped the file
    7. Using the Win32diskimager program I pushed the read button and it appeared to process the file.
    8. Again using the imager program I pushed the write button and again it appeared to work
    9. However when I checked the Sandisk it was empty - NOTHING!
    10.I TRIED IT 6 MORE TIMES
    11. I made a file on the Sandiisk from the compjter - so I knew that the Sandisk was/is not defective.
    12. I even downloaded the Winimage program with the same result.
    13. The drive appeared to be working with the drive light blinking while the program appeared to be writting to the Sandisk.
    14. But each and everytime - nothing.
    15. What am I doing wrong?
    THANKS
    Currently Reading - Fiction: The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Default Re: Please What Am I Doing Wrong?!

Hi Richard! Seems like we haven't seen you around for a while. My only suggestion is to ask you if you formatted the micro-SD card BEFORE trying to use winimage program? I have never seen a SD card of any kind work right out of the box. If not just stick into the adapter, put into SD slot on your PC, then use Explore to find the drive, rightclick on the drive letter and select format. Be sure you format it in FAT32 and make sure that Windows doesn't format it for less than the 4 gigs or close to it anyway. If it will not format to the whole cards storage get back with me and I'll point you to a program that will do it bypassing Windows format. Once done then follow the install procedures again and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

STAR TREK: TNG - INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC
    BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mr. Darcy

1. I've been in the hospital for a while - it's good to be back.
    2. Thanks for your response.
    3. When I inserted the Sandisk I checked it out and it had some "empty B&N folders on it". Does that not mean it's formatted?
    4. I will try your suggestion and let you know how it turns out.
    Non-Fiction: My Life by President Bill Clinton; Without Hesitation by General Hugh Shelton; and Legacy Of Ashes: The History Of The C.I.A. by Tim Weiner

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

1. I really thought it was going to work - it didn't.
    2. As suggested I formatted the Sandisk and I know that worked because the format erased what little that was on the Sandisk.
    3. I brought up the Win32 program with the Honeycomb file.
    4. It took over an hour to what appeared to.be an actual read and write.
    5. The light on the computer kept blinking as if it was downloading.
    6. When I checked it - there was nothing! Just a blank memory disk.
    7. - 10. ANY IDEAS?!
    Thanks

Mad Hatter

Hi Richard - First and foremost, I just wanted to pop over to say welcome back!

I'm going to defer to our NC rooter experts on this.

Donna

Mad Hatter

Richard, I have not done this, but maybe this step by step can help you troubleshoot:

http://theunlockr.com/2011/02/07/how...or-usd-method/

Donna

Richard - The link Donna gave looks pretty good. I'm wondering if your problem is that you have not softrooted your nook first? Or if you should use Winimage (which is what I used to softroot) instead of Winimage32?

Kevin
    NOW READING:

BY DAVID MCINTEE

Mr. Darcy

1. Thanks Donna it's great to be back.
    2. And Kevin - Thank You - based on your advice - I went back and tried again - and by changing 1 aspect - "not pushing the read button but only pushing the write button" it worked GREAT. Again Thank You.

AND NOW:
    1. How do I access my Nook Color w/o taking the memory card out each time?
    2. I have a 16gb memory card would it be okay/better to use it?
    3. Is there somewhere I can go that tells me how to setup an account on the android app market?
    4. So far it's pretty impressive!

Mr. Darcy

Default Re: Is It REALLY Worth It?

1. As some may know - I've been involved in evaluating the Amazon Kindle 3; the Classic Nook; and the Nook Color for a group of disabled Veterans (of which I'm one of the group). It is also from the perspective of someone that knows very little about the Ereader market. (Which certainly describes me). I'd actually started a post/thread on another board (this site). However for the past 5/6 weeks my health prohibited me from continuing. I offered - to the group - to turn over my research notes to someone else - so they wouldn't have to wait for a decision (opinion) as to which Ereader will be recommended. I've found this site to be the most helpful of all the sites I've visited. The moderators have been great and very knowledgeable. And most of all I have appreciated the help of the members.
    2. This next part is for a modulator - I assume - this post will be moved. I have no idea how to tie this post to the previous thread or even if it should be.
    3. While in the hospital I came across several articles about adding capabilities to the Nook Color by performing a simple procedure. Well I did the NOT SO HARD procedure. Took several hours. However when I turned my Nook Color on and the Android screen appeared - I thought - this is pretty cool. A's long A's I documented everything step by step - it could work. BUT NOW I'm just starting to learn how hard it appears to be to setup an account in the Android App Store.
    4. And so my question to those of you who are going through the process: A) Is it difficult to do (for a newbie)? B) Is the process worth it? Why?
    5. Again I appreciate all the comments I receive. They are an important part of the decision I'll need to make.

Default Re: Is It REALLY Worth It?

Richard - The only thing I recall doing was setting up myself a "gmail" account in order to activate the market application. I have not set up anything to actually purchase any apps yet as I have only downloaded free apps so far. Anyway, I found it pretty simple to do to get free apps. I imagine I would have to setup an account online to do pay for apps because I wouldn't send any credit card information via wifi.

Kevin
    NOW READING:

BY DAVID MCINTEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast