Would someone explain all the different "roots" that are now available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Oliver

Default Would someone explain all the different "roots" that are now available

I am new to Nook Color and the android market in general - - I know little to nothing about apps. However, in researching what ereader to purchase, everyone recommends the NC and then rooting it to make it even more useful. I have read the "how to root" websites but am still confused.

Does rooting with the "autonooter" leave the B&N OS intact but lets you also download other apps? If so, what happens when B&N sends out its auto update this month? Would the auto update override the root?

If a person roots to the Android Froyo or Honeycomb, does that OS override the B&N OS? People are selling on ebay NC that rooted to Froyo and claim that OS has been completely changed. Is this true? To those that have done rooted to the level, are you still able to download magazines from B&N?

If a person is truly a novice, do you recommend that the person buy a NC already rooted? I can follow directions, but have no technical skills or knowledge.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mowgli

Default Re: Would someone explain all the different "roots" that are now available

Quote Originally Posted by lisainnewcastle
    I am new to Nook Color and the android market in general - - I know little to nothing about apps. However, in researching what ereader to purchase, everyone recommends the NC and then rooting it to make it even more useful. I have read the "how to root" websites but am still confused.
    Even unrooted the nook is pretty useful if you only only need a reader.

Does rooting with the "autonooter" leave the B&N OS intact but lets you also download other apps? If so, what happens when B&N sends out its auto update this month? Would the auto update override the root?
    Yes. If and/or when B&N sends out it's next update it probably will over write the rooted OS. There are a couple of ways to keep this from happening.

If a person roots to the Android Froyo or Honeycomb, does that OS override the B&N OS? People are selling on ebay NC that rooted to Froyo and claim that OS has been completely changed. Is this true? To those that have done rooted to the level, are you still able to download magazines from B&N?
    Yes, CM7, Froyo and HC mods require the Nook to be reformatted and a new version of Android be installed. The exceptions is if you run one of the roots from the sd card.

Not sure about the magazines in general. To read B&N content on a fully rooted Nook you have to download the Nook app from B&N, and since I'm not a magazine reader I have never tested it.

If a person is truly a novice, do you recommend that the person buy a NC already rooted? I can follow directions, but have no technical skills or knowledge.
    In my opinion, no. Even if you screw it up a couple of times it's relatively simple to return to stock. Besides, if something does go wrong if you knew what you did you can likely fix it.
    'Eating solid food since 1957'

Oliver

Default Re: Would someone explain all the different "roots" that are now available

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by lisainnewcastle
    To those that have done rooted to the level, are you still able to download magazines from B&N?
    Thank you.
    You can't read magazines with the B&N desktop app and I am fairly certain (though not 100%) that you can't read them on the B&N android app either. If zinio ever gets their android app released it won't matter since they have a better selection at better prices, but so far they have only release on certain android devices.

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by kmack
    If and/or when B&N sends out it's next update it probably will over write the rooted OS. There are a couple of ways to keep this from happening.
    Do you have a link or instructions on how to do this?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theandies
    Do you have a link or instructions on how to do this?
    Thanks
    If you download root explorer then go to etc/security. Change the file "otacerts.zip" to otacerts.zip.old" I have never gotten an OTA update.

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Becky
    If you download root explorer then go to etc/security. Change the file "otacerts.zip" to otacerts.zip.old" I have never gotten an OTA update.
    Thanks
    I tried it with Astro and it said insufficant permission. Do I have to use root explorer or is there something wrong with my root. I used autonooter 3.0 (NC 1.1)
    again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theandies
    Thanks
    I tried it with Astro and it said insufficant permission. Do I have to use root explorer or is there something wrong with my root. I used autonooter 3.0 (NC 1.1)
    again thanks
    Insufficient permission usually means that you aren't logged in as a root user. So it could be that astro is more for managing than making changes. I am really not that android experienced. I also have never updated from the original root because I know that a big update was coming and the smaller ones didn't seem worth going through all the trouble for.

I guess what I am saying is that it seems likely that root explorer will work for you, but I can't know for sure that there hasn't been something in the later updates that keeps this from working.

Mr. Darcy

Thanks Becky - I'll keep trying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast