Rooting with Version 1.2? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    d'Artagnan

Default Re: Rooting with Version 1.2?

Netflix rocks on the nook color. This thread talks about the changes needed.
    https://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=9598.0
    Oh, and you'll see my bubble live wallpaper at the end of that video.
    peace out...

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

I had a freeze this morning and the nook wouldn't boot up. I had to reset to factory to get it started....lost everything.

Should I re-root with 4.5.18? 4.5.25 again? Ideas?

**UPDATE**

I re-rooted with 4.5.25. What a pain!! At least I had the CWM card part already done.

Here's what happened, advice appreciated:

Last night, I updated to Flash 10.3 and installed GoWeather (which is animated and has a widget) at full battery. After the installs, I ran Overdrive for about 15 minutes, read a chapter of my book then quickly depressed power to "sleep" NC.

This morning....nada.....pressed power.....nada. I figured the weather widget (which was set to referesh every 12 hours) somehow depleted the battery so I charged for an hour or so, til the "n" was green....nada.

I then depressed power for a few seconds - got a soft boot, felt reassured, but then NC only made it only as far as "nook col" and would then reboot itself to the same point in an endless loop.

In my frustration of pressing power to interrupt the boot cycle, I reset to factory (GOOD NEWS: you can't brick the NC).

Then I re-rooted....installed only Overdrive, goodreads, astro file & android app manager. I'll monitor it today, but anyone have any ideas of what caused the problem?

Am I safe to re-install upgraded Flash?

d'Artagnan

I believe I used the latest, MN 4.5.25.

Uh, sorry to hear about your freeze. What a pain.

Something that will make your life so much easier is using the restore/backup feature of your CWM card.
    I would recommend once you get your nook to pristine 1.2 stock and registered, use your CWM card to do a complete backup (reboot with CWM card, access restore/backup menu). Then after you complete the rooting process and get market registered, apps all installed, again use your CWM card to do another backup of your nook. This way if this type of thing happens again, all you have to do is pop in your CWM card, reboot, choose restore, choose the backup file you want to restore from and few minutes later you're 100% back.
    peace out...

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

I'm slowly recovering...

I intend to back up (had intended to do so today). Now I am installing one thing at a time and waiting for the result on battery before adding anything else. So far with light use in 4 hours I have used about 8%.

I added back Flash and Google Maps.

In another hour, I guess I'll try to find a good widget.....that's not easy!

Oliver

Looking for a stable rom look no further than Phiremod 6.2.Been running for the past month no issues.Comes preloaded with adw launcher and numerous other apps which makes life easier once rooted.Although I later chose to run adw launcher ex.Everything runs fine including netflix,angry birds,tapatalk.Email is better than stock ,even the nook app from the market is more responsive than stock reader.Live wallpapers.This was my first rooting experience and after a few google searches I found everything I needed .The whole process took less than 20 minutes.Download winimage,winzip,clockwork recovery mod compatible for your size sd card and the phiremod 6.2 rom .Phiremod is an enhanced version of gingerbread 2.3.

Puck

Hey Brxbombers, thanks.

What kind of battery life do you get? Also is it an internal root or do you run it off of an sd card?

Oliver

battery life really isn't too bad ,considering the tradeoff.Surfing the web,a little reading a couple games and running thunderstorm live wallpaper I' m usally between 70 and 80 percent at the end of the day.It's an internal root. from what a gathered there are people having issues running the roms from the sd card.

Puck

I did the nooter internal root and after I downloaded GoWeather, the entire battery drained overnight. The re-boot after charge got caught in a loop and I had to wipe everything and start over.

Now I am slowly adding things back one at a time. Yesterday, I read pretty heavily on the NC (maybe 5 hours), plus I installed my Kobo account, downloaded wallpaper to match my skin (and edited it and then moved the files around a bit) and dealt with a few emails. I had 35% at the end of the day, so I think I am doing better.

I sill have not put any of the news, banking, google voice, etc apps back and I don't think I will - better to have all that on the phone anyway. Still to come HBO GO and Netflix. On the fence about Google Earth and Kindle (where I only have 2 books). Must say though, running Overdrive and Kobo on top of the B&N stuff makes this very worthwhile....although still loving my original nook for reading and (of course) for buy-on-the-fly.

Oliver

What Netflix app do you use on the Market? I cannot figure out which one to use...

Oliver

Netlix does not show up on the Market with my NC. It does show up on my PC. Help?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123