Rooting with Version 1.2?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mr. Darcy

Default Rooting with Version 1.2?

Is there a rooting option with the lastest software update available?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Default Re: Rooting with Version 1.2?

The only one I'm familiar with is ManualNooter 4.5.6 (for stock 1.2)
    I mentioned my experience with using it in this thread:
    https://www.nookboards.com/forum/inde...2.msg85424#new

It's not as turn-key as AutoNooter was for 1.1.
    But it does work successfully.
    peace out...

Mr. Darcy

I guess I'll wait to see if Autonooter comes out with a 1.2 version then. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by riderforlife13
    I guess I'll wait to see if Autonooter comes out with a 1.2 version then. Thanks for the heads up.
    I'd like to wait too. Manual Nooter is proving to be too complicated for me. I wonder when autonooter will be released?

Puck

Well folks, I took the plunge.

I ordered a Nook Color from Overstock and a class 6 sd card with reader from Amazon.

I'm only mildly techie, but I found a YouTube video of how to run the Manual Nooter 4.5.26 on stock 1.2, sooooo, I'll keep you posted when it all arrives. It seems to have all shipped yesterday, so hopefully by next week I'll be in business.

The Goal: to run Overdrive off of the rooted NC so a computer/sideload is not necessary for library books. I was going to "upgrade" from Classic to the new touchscreen, but I was unimpressed, so since I was poised to shop and I had an Overstock coupon....there you go.

Hopefully the card will come first and I can get that image thing burned in advance. Has anyone tried the 4.5.26? Am I believing this to be easier than it really will be?

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Has anyone tried the 4.5.26? Am I believing this to be easier than it really will be?
    Rooting is the easier part actually which just consists of copying the manualnooter-4-5-26.zip file to the CWM imaged microSD card, putting it into your nook and rebooting. It does its rooting magic and when you reboot you're rooted.

The more time consuming part is actually the prep work: wiping/reset your nook back to stock, reregistering it with B&N, updating it to 1.2 and then imaging the CWM card to use for actual rooting step. The devs just made it easier though as the CWM 3.0.2.8 image is now just one download. You just download the image file that matches the size of your micro SD card and un-compress it (the file has a .rar extension). After that you'll have the image file with a .img file extension. This is the .img file that you use by the image burning app to write/burn to your micro SD card (which makes it a CWM recover/bootable card).

Note, the CWM card is a very useful critter for sure. It's basic purpose in life is to provide your nook access to the CWM main menu alllowing you to install .zip files (which can be android apps, etc), backup your nook, and restore your nook. So after the rooting process and after you've set up your nook the way you want it (registered with android market, set your icons on the Zeam desktop, etc), I recommend popping in your CWM card again, rebooting to the CWM menu, and choosing "Backup". It will back up your entire nook system to a file on your CWM card. So after it finishes, and you remove the CWM card and put in a safe place, you can easily restore your nook to the identical state if something catastrophic happens. Peace of mind is good.

Let us know how it goes PFMdg. You're going to love your new found freedom!
    peace out...

Puck

Shall do so, Knick Knack, thanks so much. That is wonderful advice.

Now I'm getting impatient for everything to arrive!!

Oliver

Curious can you keep the magazine subscriptions that I have (plus keep the B&N Market) & Flash after rooting.

Puck

I have no magazines, so I won't be able to advise on that, but I should imagine that if it keeps the B&N interface and the regular nook account that magazines should be fine too?

Not sure though as I have not actually held the NC yet, I still have only classic.

d'Artagnan

With ManualNooter you access the B&N launcher (stock 1.2 launcher) by running the "Nook Home" app.
    The app is included by rooting process. Once you are at the B&N launcher you're essentially at stock 1.2 functionality, as far as I can tell. I've bought books, apps, from B&N with no problems. I only purchased one magazine (pre-root purchase) but can read it just fine while running stock launcher.
    peace out...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast