Rooting question

Oliver

Default Rooting question

What is the advantage of rooting the nook color? I just bought one over the weekend and have been reading about rooting but I don't know if I am ready to take the plunge.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

kit
    Tiny Tim

Default Re: Rooting question

Courtesy of DrWho453 at http://clubnook.com/forum/showthread...ternal-Rooting

What is Rooting? and what is the difference between SD rooting and Internal Rooting?

Rooting: Allows a person or program full access to the Operating system and functions that would otherwise be locked out. On the Nook and Nook Color, this allows one to access the android market place to add apps that are not available on the BN site.

Why should I root?

If all you want to do is read books and magazines or play some of the games available for the NC then you don't need to root. However, if you want to be able to do all of that plus have a tablet that provides Calendars, Calculators, spreadsheet, and more games than you can shake a stick at, then rooting is the way to go.

SD rooting Vs Internal Rooting

There are three different ways to root:

1. Put the operating system (OS) on to a bootable SDcard. This will allow you to boot to a different OS using the SDcard and then if you need to return the NC to BN for repair or when you want to use the stock OS, you can just remove the SD Card and reboot.

2. Put the OS on the internal memory. The advantage to this is that the OS may run slightly faster since it is on the built in memory and you can use all of the memory on the SD card for storage instead of having part of it taken up by the OS. The disadvantage is that if you want to go back to stock, you have to go through extra steps to restore the original OS.

3. Manual or autonooter. This does not replace the OS. It just unlocks the OS so that you can add more apps using the android marketplace. The advantage here is that you still retain everything you had when you got the NC plus you can now do things that you originally could not do with the stock OS.

All 3 of these methods will supposedly void your warranty, however all three methods can be undone and reverted back to stock so your warranty is not voided.

There are also at this time 3 different OSs available:
    Froyo (Android 2.2) is what is now available on the updated NC and allows the NC to have flash capabilities.

Honeycomb (Android 3.0)

CM7 is Gingerbread (Android 2.3)

Also recently nook2android starting selling uSD cards with CM7 OS (Gingerbread) on them. This is a very nice option as they do all of the work for you. you just purchase and install the uSD card and boot either to stock NC or the android system. But before you do any of this, you should read about rooting in general and gather information for now. Just google the above or you can go to XDA Developers for more info.

Here is a link to nook2android.
    http://www.nook2android.com/

d'Artagnan

That nook2android web site actually has some pretty good prices.
    MikFinkel

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

kit
    Tiny Tim

Prices not bad. I bought a 16 gb card for 49.99 and can't wait to get it. I always wanted to make cm7 dual boot card, but never had the time. I initially was going to go the autonooter way with Huskermania's video, but I decided to wait since NC was just rolling out the 1.2 update. I'm glad I waited.