1.3 nightmare, need help!

Puck

Default 1.3 nightmare, need help!

Hello All!

Need advice from the experts....desperately!

I have been working hard and not reading too much. Last night, when I finally decided to read a chapter of my library book, I opened NC to find a green "n" in the notification area - the **** thing had upgraded to a 1.3OS. Net result: no gmail, no market and many apps missing.

I tried to restore from Titanium and got an error message.

I liked things before, so I would happily go back to 1.2 and redo the manual nooter (4.6.16 I think), if I can disable the B&N update - but I have NO CLUE how to do this. I am assuming a complete wipe and reset followed by a 1.2 install from my CWM bootable sd followed by manual nooter (already on CWM bootable sd) followed by some edit of something somewhere to disable updates, followed by a restore from Titanium backup?

Need to know:
    1. is this correct in terms of procedure
    2. if so, where I can fine the 1.2 to place on my CWM bootable sd and whatthing I must do to disable updates.
    3. if I am wrong, what I can to do to fix this...other than a complete reset and disposal of the freaking thing followed by purchase of more expensive android tablet.

Thanks in advance. I am only moderately techie, so it is all a learning process.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: 1.3 nightmare, need help!

Impatient as I am, I tried the following and it seems to work...

I ran the CWM Bootable sd and re-installed manual nooter 4.6.16 over the existing, no wipe. Then I did a restore from Titanium and all seems fine except:

1) the B&N side had a load error, the books only showed as grey squares and I got a communication error. I turned off and the re-opened the wifi connection and it seemed to resolve, magazines worked - although I have not actually opened a book through that side (that's what original nook is for!).

2) the android market was there, but the graphics looked weird. My installed apps showed, with no available updates though, so I could not see if it was really functional. I guess I can live without it, if so. Overdrive, Goodreads, Kobo & Kindle all there, so no complaints really, I'm a happy camper!

I did not reboot, so I don't know if the dreaded "NOOKcol" boot loop situation exists - I'm happy to just leave it on!

Wondering though if it might not be preferable to run android from an sd - dual boot where I can just pull the card for B&N only. Were those roots immune to this update garbage?

d'Artagnan

Default Re: 1.3 nightmare, need help!

Quote Originally Posted by PFMdg
    Wondering though if it might not be preferable to run android from an sd - dual boot where I can just pull the card for B&N only. Were those roots immune to this update garbage?
    Yes, immune. Honestly, once you CM7/n2a from SD you'll rarely want to go back.
    peace out...