Ok, I have a big problem.

Mr. Darcy

Default Ok, I have a big problem.

I tried to root my nc and for some reason or another it didn't work. Frustrated I decided to go back to the stock B&N version but when I tried to do it I got an error and it didn't work. So, I'm stuck. Does anyone have any good links that they've used to get their nc's back to the stock operating system?

I've decided that I only really read on this thing so I don't really need to root it.

The error I ran into was the formatting data. For some reason I kept getting this error and I never could find a solution for it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Just curious, were you rooting using Manualnooter or did you try CM7?
    It would be a shame to have you miss out on a rooted nook (the Overdrive Media app itself is worth it )
    anyway, check out http://n2acards.com/ for a paid solution path to root heaven. They do all the hard stuff so you just pop in the card and reboot for root. When you want to go back to stock, take out card and reboot, bada bing.

But let's get you back to stock...
    Do you already have a bootable CWR (Clockwork Recovery) microSD card?
    This is a specially imaged microSD card that will boot you into recovery mode so you can flash roms.
    Here's the link I used to get the .zip file to restore back to stock (sigh, I've done this several times).
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914690
    depending on which file you use will restore you to either v1.0.0 or v1.0.1 stock.
    (read the instructions carefully. basically you just download the file for stock version you desire, copy it to the micros SD card, format the partitions they suggest, then flash the rom)
    After reboot you register the stock nook and then the regular B&N update process can happen (to bring you up to latest v1.3 from B&N).

Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions.
    Last edited by Flip; 10-18-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    peace out...

Mr. Darcy

Not against rooting it but right now I can't do anything on it. Won't even turn on. So I just want to get it back to stock so I can at least read It was weird because I had load cm7 but I got to the loading screen and it just spun away and never finished loading. They said to keep trying and I did about 10 times and nothing. Then when I tried to go back to stock I got an error when formatting data. So back to stock for now if I can find a way to get there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Ok! Great news. I decided that last night was Fix the nook color night and nothing else mattered! After about 5 hours of downloading, redownloading, reading web pages, etc, I finally got my nook updated I'm back to 1.3 and have a very good understanding of what went wrong. So, I might, after I recover from the 5 hour marathon consider rooting again. I'm keeping my sd card loaded with the clockwork so I don't have to reimage it when and if I need to change back.

d'Artagnan

I love my N2A card - it was well worth the $25 or so to have someone do the work. And you don't even have to take the card out to go back to NC mode - it dual boots.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

Mr. Darcy

You guys are about to convince me that the N2A card is the way to go. One question though, what happens if B&N does an upgrade? Does the card still work?

d'Artagnan

You're covered. It won't matter if/when B&N updates because that happens when you're booted to nook stock (nook's internal memory). When you boot to N2A card you're running directly off card, not nook internal memory.
    peace out...

Mr. Darcy

Well you guys talked me into it. I ordered one today. I really like the rooted nook and this is the best of both worlds. I should get my card sometime next week