I'm gonna do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    d'Artagnan

Default I'm gonna do it!

First, my apologies to everyone here I argued with about rooting. I really never saw the point. If BN hadn't screwed things up so badly so I can no longer add apps without getting re-partitioned, I might never had come to this point. But... I'm gonna do it. My SO is a computer guru so he will be getting something set up on a card for me and I will be trying that at first. I have heard there is some way to dual boot so I won't need to take the card out? I assume all of my apps (read Angry Birds, all of them ) will just work flawlessly? Any tips? If you address the tips to me please speak very slowly and use really tiny words. If you address the tips to my SO feel free to speak freely and I'll just hand him my laptop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

You can indeed set up the card so that it will dual boot - if I figured that out I'm sure your SO will be able to. I can't remember where I found that info, but it was in the process of figuring out how to make the card, and I think it was a file I added after I'd made the card. He should be able to find the file for dual booting - I'd send a link to where I found them but they're on a different computer. I tried googling it but nothing looked familiar (which isn't surprising for me...)

I never could get the Android Market to work on my DIY card, got frustrated with that & ended up buying an N2A card (even though I probably didn't need the Market, could've just used the Amazon market which worked just fine). I find I use it in CM7 mode pretty much all the time. Good luck!
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

d'Artagnan

My nc is all but useless rooted!!! The nook app isn't showingme any of the options I need. For example I can't change the color of the page. It is like I only have a limited version... And I can'tusemy apps..and the keyboard is annoying... I still haven't figured out dual booting but if I can't read it is going to be irrelevant.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

To change page background, while in nook app with book loaded, tap center of screen, choose 'Text', and tap in box showing words 'Day'. It will present you with several choices.

Does your nook app not behave this way?
    Last edited by Flip; 10-31-2011 at 01:45 AM.
    peace out...

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    To change page background, while in nook app with book loaded, tap center of screen, choose 'Text', and tap in box showing words 'Day'. It will present you with several choices.

Does your nook app not behave this way?
    I get the same thing - 6 options for background/print color schemes.

As far as the keyboard goes, not sure what's annoying you but I downloaded a keyboard app - Thumb Keyboard - that gives me choices of how to set up the keyboard - I set it up so that it's "split" so I can keyboard with my thumbs like I do on my phone. I'd assume that any B&N-purchased apps you had won't work on the CM7 side, but you might be able to find them in the Android Market, maybe even free, and there are tons more apps available than through B&N. You can also download the Amazon App Store and get apps from them, they offer a free app of the day, one that's normally a paid app.
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1

d'Artagnan

Quote Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
    ... but you might be able to find them in the Android Market, maybe even free, and there are tons more apps available than through B&N. You can also download the Amazon App Store and get apps from them, they offer a free app of the day, one that's normally a paid app.
    Agreed. for example, Angry Birds was mentioned in original post, on the full market all three Angry Birds apps are free.
    • Angry Birds (classic)
    • Angry Birds Seasons
    • Angry Birds Rio
    free is good.

btw, thanks for the tip on "Thumb Keyboard" app, going to try it. Lately I find the CM7 keyboard annoying, but then I don't remember ever activating T9 (predictive text), but low and behold, there it is, screwing up what I type. I'll poke through settings to see if it can be disabled.
    peace out...

Tom Sawyer

I love my rooted NC. So much better than the standard with many more options. My only regret was that I could not get a card to work. So in frustration I rooted the NC itself.
    Author of 'It Waits' (free), 'Dragons Fire and the Brave Little Prince' (.99), 'Rashnar' (free), 'Krae' (.99)
    http://robertyelverton.info
    http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/RMY
    http://www.feedbooks.com/user/127425/profile

d'Artagnan

My nook app does not work the way you describe While on a page of a book I tap the center of the screen and all that happens is that the nearest word is highlighted. I have uninstalled and re-installed and it is still the same. I put cmod7 on a card so I can easily take the card out to get it back to stock. Yes, you can disable predictive text. That is one of the first things I did! The angry birds apps are free with ads :P so I'd rather pop out the card and use my ad free games. I have grabbed some free games off the marketplace that are either ad free or the ads are insignificant. Another big problem I'm having is that springpad doesn't work with a rooted nc (I talked to someone at springpad about it today) although they are working on it. I haven't really found any big advantages to having it rooted. I did it because of the limitations on apps on the stock nc (my plan was to use the nc for apps I pay for and all free apps I'd put on the rooted side) but this will only work if I can figure out how to dual boot. I'm still playing around, but at this point I'm not loving it... Oh, the keyboard problem is that I keep bumping the bottom of the device and the download thing slides up and covers the screen. That is simply me learning to not bump the bottom while typing.

Well if your SO is as good with computers as you say it seems then the solution is to repartition the nook so you have more room for apps.

Tell him to check this out, he should be able to figure it out. It's pretty simple. Create a bootable CWM mod card, run the zip.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1094371

If you need help, let me know.

d'Artagnan

Here's what I did. My SO made me a cmod7 boot card then put the dual boot on it as well. Now I have an awesome tablet for daily use and when I want all of the amazing
    functionality of my nc I just reboot. I gotta say, BN really got it right on the nc when it comes to reading magazines, playing games and the 'nook app' stuff. I have the nook app on my rooted nc and it is terrible!!!! I put it on my linux computer too, just to compare, and it is even worse there :P~~ So when I want to do any BN stuff I just pop over to the nc 'side' of the device. Otherwise, it hangs out in tablet mode and works beautifully. I'm now wondering how long before I decide it is too limited and I 'need' to upgrade to the new bn tablet and root _that_ *grin* The biggest reason I haven't considered repartitioning is that it is permanent and I don't know what I might not like about it to take that chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast