Nook Simple will not recognize home wi-fi - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oliver

Same problem here ... took it to the store and it connected to the store Wi-Fi just fine ... came home, tried again several times (WPA TKIP security key) ... called 800 number given to me at the store ... no help at all (in the Philippines) ... called son who just got a Nook and activated it on the first try ... he is using WEP wireless security ... changed my router to WEP and it came up just fine ... go figure!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by dick-adams View Post
    Same problem here ... took it to the store and it connected to the store Wi-Fi just fine ... came home, tried again several times (WPA TKIP security key) ... called 800 number given to me at the store ... no help at all (in the Philippines) ... called son who just got a Nook and activated it on the first try ... he is using WEP wireless security ... changed my router to WEP and it came up just fine ... go figure!!!
    Truthfully, WEP is very weak encryption by today's standards. IF you can use WPA-2, I strongly recommend it. Since different people have different skill sets, this will get a little long-winded. Were I talking to another IT architect (my day job) this would shorter.

Step 1 - you need your home wireless SSID, encryption mechanism, and encryption key ('password") to get the Nook to connect to the wireless and on to internet

Details:

The first thing one needs to set up wireless is an understanding of their home setup. For most home-service routers, there is a browser-based configuration that the owner or a friend had to set up. For a Linksys router, it generally defaults to 192.168.1.1, and wireless devices added to the network get ip addresses also in the 192.168.1.XXX subnet. If no one has changed the IP, you can google for the manufacturer's default IP address for your switch. So generally, on a PC connected to the router, open a browser and navigate to the correct IP address. The system should pop up a login window. Supply the login and password and you will have complete access to the router via various web pages.

(TIP The login password SHOULD have been changed following installation, since it a security issue. If you change it, write it down in a secure location. For example, write it on a piece of paper (with all the other passwords you need), put it into a sealed envelope, and drop it into a fireproof strongbox. If it gets good and lost, you can bypass it by resetting the router to factory defaults, but that wipes any custom configuration. Major pain.)

Once logged in, navigate to the appropriate wireless security page in the router. Find the Wireless security section, and check the settings. Depending on model, the common encryption methods settings may include

WEP - better than nothing, but not terribly secure
    RADIUS - Business users
    WPA-Personal
    WPA-Enterprise - Business users
    WPA2-Personal
    WPA2-Enterprise - Business users
    WPA2-Personal Mixed
    WPA2-Enterprise Mixed

The WPA Personal modes are generally the most secure for home users, WPA2 being the strongest. Each can use two different protocols, TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Protocol) or AES (Advanced Encryption System). I can't tell you that AES doesn't work -- my router runs DDWRT and so can respond to either -- but based on what I've seen here, TKIP seems to be the best choice for Nook users.

WPA uses a shared key ("password") that is configured first at the router end and then on the wireless devices such as Nooks. Can be found on one of the router's pages, usually the same page where you specific encryption method.THIS MUST MATCH what you tell the wireless devices to use.

Step 2 - Device to Router communications:

With a wireless access point correctly set (for example to WPA2), and armed with the SSID and the shared key, the wireless device now needs to be configured to use the same values. After that is done, the Nook should first connect to the wireless to obtain an IP address. The Nook will tell you when it is doing this. If this step fails, troubleshooting is required. My first step -- if no one else is using the wireless at that time -- is generally to make sure I write down the current settings for encryption and the passwords, and then I turn off encryption entirely at the router and the client. I try again, and if this works, it tells me the radio circuits are fine, the IP assignment mechanism (called DHCP) is working, and in the case of the Nook, that the internet connectivity is working. Then I go back, turn on wireless security again, and continue troubleshooting JUST the link encryption.

Step 3: Device to internet service - outward from the router to the internet

Based on what I saw, the Nook then connects to the B&N internet service. If this part fails, it's generally a firewall issue. You can troubleshoot that by logging into the router and making sure all needed ports are opened. Most home wireless routers allow nearly all OUTBOUND communications, while communications that ORIGINATE outside are blocked. Given that my own firewalls are not likely to be used by many consumers, I can't readily say what particular stoppages may occur for others. I wish B&N published IP addresses, ports and protocols, but if they do, I haven't found them yet.

I hope this might help some others down the road to understand the process and to troubleshoot.
    Last edited by mister_z; 12-03-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Oliver

Default Unable to Connect Nook for registration - solved

Using Linksys WRT54G I struggled all Christmas morning to set up the Nook for my daughter. It would not accept the correct password for the router. Assuming you have entered the correct router password this is what solved the problem for me:
    1. made sure that WPA algorithm was TKIP+AES
    2. DISCONNECTED the USB cable from the computer - it was still connected because it take 3.5 hours from new to fully charge!
    3. shutdown and restarted the NOOK while standing right next to the router
    The system had stored the correct password and went straight to connected to internet!!!! Thanks to my wife for suggesting items 2 and 3 tho' I doubt 3 was that improtant as the signal strength was excellent 12ft from the router, but it's "technology", so who really knows?
    The Nook doesn't appear to like to operate wirelessly with the USB cable connected to the computer - I expect we'll use the power adapter to charge it while in use and only connect to the computer for downloads.
    Differ

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

oh, yeah, 178 page terms of service agreement...really??!!!
    Who's going to read it and then decline? Am waiting for B&N SWAT team to exercise the "firstborn" clause and take possession of my eldest child!!!!

d'Artagnan

They would give my first born back an hour after aquiring her *wicked grin* I have both the 3g and the nc and have never had trouble using wifi while connected to the usb. I wonder if it's
    something unique to you or to the simple nook?

Quote Originally Posted by FromtheRight View Post
    Nook does not recognize WPA AES. Switch to WPA TKIP and your WPA access problem is solved.
    Right. Also, this is the very first question all the Tech Support guys ask when the "My wi-fi isn't showing up as an option" call comes in. And if you don't know what kind of Wi-Fi network you're running, you probably should learn that, as more and more devices are using Wi-Fi and wireless technology.

Oliver

very helpful so far but now mine is asking for a password. What password? Do I create one here or is this a password that I don't know I have?

Oliver

how do I find my "network SSID"?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12