Simple Touch Not remembering last page read

Eli
    Oliver

Default Simple Touch Not remembering last page read

I'm having an issue where every time I put away my NOOK then come back to read later or the next day, it forgot what page I was on reading, this is really annoying as if I happen to forget to make a bookmark on the page before I put the device away, I have to spend precious time trying to figure out where it is it that I stopped reading.

Not only that the "Reading Now" feature sometimes also shows up the wrong page, I remember this used to be an issue with the NOOK Classic when I had it, this never happens with my Kindle, am I missing a setting, is this a bug or normal behavior?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

Default Re: Simple Touch Not remembering last page read

I have popped back and forth between a number of books, and so far my STN has never forgotten the last page read on any of them.

Hope you find a cure for what ails yours!

Nook Classic 3g and Simple Touch
    Admin: http://ScionLife.com/forums

Puck

Are you reading multiple books or using different devices? The only thing I can think of is if some other device is reporting a different last page read.

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Tom Sawyer

from what I've heard, from a few mutli-nook owners, the last page read feature that never worked between the color and the classic, still doesn't work with the new reader either.

Eli
    Oliver

Thanks guys, it looks like the problem happens whenever I connect the NOOK to the PC to either upload new books or to charge, it never happens when I just put it away normally, I used to finish reading and just put it back to charge with the USB adapter, I guess I will start charging it with the regular charger and be sure to make a bookmark before I connect it to the PC, but this is definately a bug in the software!

Tom Sawyer

Woo! I can finally post here... okay. This is happening to me too.

Here is what happened to me:

I started reading Clash of Kings which I had side loaded, and I noticed that when I went to my Home screen it showed the cover pic and said page number was at 1 instead of 15. When I selected the icon in the upper left, it took me to page 1. I tried this several times. Going to my current page, and then back to home. No dice. It always put me back at page one.

I rebooted the device and it was still showing page 1 instead of my current page, only for a while it wasn't even showing the cover pic. I had to load a different book and then GO BACK to Clash of Kings for it to show the cover. It is still showing page 1 on the Home screen. It is taking me to my current spot when I use the link, but I'm not sure for how long and if it will just take me to page 1 again for no reason.

I'm not sure how to fix this.

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Eli
    Thanks guys, it looks like the problem happens whenever I connect the NOOK to the PC to either upload new books or to charge, it never happens when I just put it away normally, I used to finish reading and just put it back to charge with the USB adapter, I guess I will start charging it with the regular charger and be sure to make a bookmark before I connect it to the PC, but this is definately a bug in the software!
    I've been having this problem too. My current work around is to write down the page I'm on before I hook the Nook up to the computer. Though I think next time I'll also try to create a bookmark and see if that is saved. I checked the B&N boards and it looks like someone has reported it there too, though not everyone can replicate it:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ht/true#M77772

Oliver

Here is the solution:

Apparetnly when you connect your nook to your PC (I am assuming you are using Calibre), that the metadata file for the nook is in "limbo" between your nook and your PC. So, if you disconnect your Nook from your PC without ejecting your Nook via right clicking and ejecting (or via Calibre by ejecting device), the file gets corrupted and so does your page numbers.

The solution is to do this:

1) Connect your Nook to your PC.
    2) Take the affected books off of your nook and onto your PC. (do a cut and paste, not a copy).
    3) Eject your Nook by right clicking on the Nook drive (and also the sd card drive).
    4) Power cycle your Nook
    5) Reconnect your Nook to the PC
    6) Copy your book(s) back onto the Nook
    7) Open the book -- You will get an error here asking if you want to go to the last synced page. Go to the last synced page.
    8) Go back to Home and your book will be there with the correct page number.

The lesson learned here is that whenever you connect your Nook to your PC, make **** sure that you EJECT all of your Nook drives (main and sd card) before disconnecting from the PC or you will lose your last page read. You know when you are crossed up when on your Home screen, your book will say page 1 of 1. The above steps will fix this.