Downloading books from the computer

Oliver

Default Downloading books from the computer

My son deploys shortly and would like a new NOOK to take with him. Wifi will not be available. Is it possible to download books on to the Simple Touch from a NOOK account on your computer via USB connection?

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

d'Artagnan

Default Re: Downloading books from the computer

Quote Originally Posted by ppiper
    My son deploys shortly and would like a new NOOK to take with him. Wifi will not be available. Is it possible to download books on to the Simple Touch from a NOOK account on your computer via USB connection?
    Short answer is yes. That's how you get books from other sources on the Nook.
    Longer answer is that the one concern could be that there could be an issue because Nook is basically a US-only device. There shouldn't be a problem since his account is US-based and his credit card # would be a US-based account. To be safe, though, I'd load as many books on it as possible before he deploys.

Also I googled Nook for Military, and this popped up at the top of the list:
    http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ks/td-p/727487

It's a bit of a good news/bad news thread about using the Nook while overseas with the military, and shows how he might run into issues that he wouldn't have with some of the other readers (this is because Nook's DRM is tied to his credit card). Or he might have no problems at all. When it probably becomes a bit more of an issue is if he were to PCS overseas. I have a friend whose military son bought a Sony reader in part for that reason - he knew he'd be overseas a good bit of the time, both deployed and (currently) as a PCS to Italy.

If he does get a Nook, looks like his best option might be to register with his .mil email address from the get-go. And best wishes to him for his deployment - I'm a retired military wife and current military mother-in-law. Let him know too that whatever service he's in, all the services have Overdrive libraries he can access - the Navy's is wonderful, I think so far the Air Force's is the newest and smallest. But they all have them.

em
    Kindling since August 2008, Kindle Fire, K$79; Nook Color w/N2A card; iPad 1