Can't connect Nook to wireless router

Oliver

Default Can't connect Nook to wireless router

I am having problems connecting my Simple Touch Nook to my wireless router at home. My Nook software version is 1.0.1. My router is a Linksys WRT54GV3. I am broadcasting my SSID, and don't have MAC address filtering turned on. All the advanced wireless setting were left at the factory default. I am using 802.11g protocol and for security I've enabled WPA Pre-Shared Key with AES encryption. After I enter my key the Nook Wireless Setting screen cycles between "connected,testing..." and "Connected, but no Internet" . The Nook was given an IP address by my router's DHCP service. If I disable wireless security on my home router, I can connect. If I take my Nook to a open hotspot (NYPL), I can connect. If I take my Nook to a local B&N store and use their WPA network, I can connect. If I try on 9/18/11 at home with WPA, I can connect. If I try on 9/21/11 at home with WPA, I can not connect Using the same wireless router my laptop running Windows XP Pro SP3 or Linux Backtrack 5 (based on an Ubuntu 8,x distro), have no problems connecting. It so happens I monitored both access attempts from 9/18 and 9/21 using Kismet and viewed the dumps in Wireshark. The results were very different. I can post a summary if it would help. I have tried various combinations of turning wifi on / off; turning the Nook on / off; turning the router on /off; turning my brain on /off. Nothing (except the last) helped

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Puck

The Linksys router is one that is known to have issues in some cases because of the built in firewall as you discovered when you turned it off. Turning off that firewall should not be detrimental to your laptop security so long as you are running security on it.

Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by wellread View Post
    The Linksys router is one that is known to have issues in some cases because of the built in firewall as you discovered when you turned it off. Turning off that firewall should not be detrimental to your laptop security so long as you are running security on it.
    Thanks for the suggestion. At first I thought; "what firewall, I don't remember setting any ACL's "; but I checked the security settings , and sure enough there it was. The router was blocking your usual (maybe) malicious ports as well as multicasts.

I turned it off and tried to connect again (turning wifi on / off, turning Nook on / off). It didn't help. FYI what the router was firewalling, in English, was (1) Anonymous Internet Request, (2) Multicast, (3) Internal NAT redirection, (4) IDENT port 113 .

I think of the connect process like a polite conversation between two parties. Both sides have to obey the rules and play nice. (no talking out of turn; raise your hand if you want to speak; wait to be recognized; stand, state your name, and speak clearly). One or both needs to stay after school and do their homework. Is it Cisco (Linksys)? Is is Barnes&Nobe?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

I believe I have tracked down the problem and come up with a fix. My router is several years old and only supports WPA not WPA2. When WPA was setup it used TKIP. When they setup WPA2 they implemented the full 80211i standard. My router settings was WPA with AES encryption. I changed the encryption to TKIP and was able to connect. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

I still don't know why my Nook does not work with WPA/AES. It is possible there is a bug in the firmware of the router or Nook. Or, B&N may have not implemented support for WPA/AES.

This may only explain the problem some Nook owners are having. Morale of the story, if you have WPA2, use it.