PDF's "Converting" on their own!

Oliver

Default PDF's "Converting" on their own!

I have many books as PDF's, and have sideloaded several to my micro-SD card. Sometimes, the PDF remains as an image only, which is what I usually want, especially if it is an older book.

But some PDFs will "convert" to text somewhere between my sideloading them, and opening them, on the Nook. Now I did not even know the Nook was capable of doing this... and I am guessing what is happening is that, depending on the type of PDF... that is, how it was saved... the Nook will handle it differently.

I know that one parameter of a PDF file is that it can have "searchable" text, others do not. Perhaps that is the parameter I want to change... but I cannot figure it out. If I open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro, I can save it as either a PDF/A, or a PDF/X... but cannot see either working for the Nook.

While I am at it, I will explain: The reason I don't want the converted, or more accurately, the "text read" PDFs, is because that version is so bad: It is like the worst OCR read document, with misspellings, drop outs, crazy fonts... I just want to see the page, as it was scanned when it was first converted to PDF.

Thanks in advance for any help. Proto.

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Oliver

I still have not found the answer to this... I hope someone else has. I've tried saving PDF's in different "flavors": like PDF/A, and PDF/X. One is a graphics version, but it expands the disk size so much it is not worth it...

One clue I have is that books downloaded from Google books... which are not searchable in the downloadable form, but are in the online form... do not convert when side loaded. But the books on Archive.org (when not redirected to google books, of course) do convert when sideloaded to the nook. And so archive.org PDF's are basically unreadable.

Also, the wonderful Calibre program does not help... when it converts to PDF from epub, it does a better job than a sideloaded PDF from archive.org and elsewhere, but it is still a mess. Perhaps someone at Calibre will know the answer... if someone here does not see this now that it is "bumped".

Thanks in advance. Rich.

Oliver

I finally figured out a solution to this problem. There are others who know what I am talking about, and have asked the question on the internet, but nobody has solved it. So I hope they find this answer here, and can finally read PDFs on their nook, in the original, image, format. Here is what you do:

Open the PDF in Adobe Pro. Export it as .tiff images. Then, re-create a new PDF from the .tiffs. This must strip whatever metadata that causes the NOOK to try reformatting it, and also allows you to name it without the NOOK using the metadata name, and other problems. It works perfectly.