nook ST remade

Thread: nook ST remade

Oliver

Cool nook ST remade

Obviously, the ST is a preferable device with all its easy to make modifications by simply rooting it. I may be asking for the moon, but can't you just program apps like a calculator, a better PDF reader, other academic odds and ends without having to go with all this excess stuff you get with the rooted nook? rooted, its too easy to get side tracked, its battery goes to nothing inside 2 days, and its not so much complicated as it is annoying. all these features for not much at all. video players are not really needed on a nook ST. audio is worthless. but we all have to agree that the factory settings are extremely limiting. I just want something I can use for college. so, I guess my question is, How to do it? I know the bare basics of programming. I know the basics of hardware. I'm just wondering if there's a way to model and modify its original programming on my computer. Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

Well if you want to install or add anything of use to the ST, then you are going to need to write files into the system folders. Those folders are protected until you root the Nook. But even if you wrote code that just roots the Nook and does not add extra stuff that you don't need, its not going to be of much use. This is because the interface that exists on the Nook does not have a screen where you can view installed apps or do anything apart from what you see right now. So for this you need to install a different modified interface for the OS. I really don't think you want to go though all that trouble to install a couple more apps.

So short answer would probably be no.

Oliver

Cool hard head walking

Believe it or not, I actually do. I just want something made purely for work and college. not something I don't need. the beauty of it is custom design and interface. I'm sure something like that would catch on quickly. I guess I am asking for the moon, ain't I?
    So, is there a way to copy the root files and send them to the computer and then trial and error a way to the wanted apps? I don't think it would be too hard. so, can it be done?

5. Remove Advertisements
    B&N Nook Forum
    Advertisements

Mr. Darcy

So you plan on writing your own custom interface for your Nook? You mentioned you know the "bare basics of programming". In my opinion, I think you should just use one of the available options for root or get another device that is actually made for doing the things you want. Like an Android phone perhaps. Doing what you want to do will take you far too much time for it to be a worthwhile project considering your programming knowledge.

Oliver

Cool Unwilling to settle for the next thing.

that sounds a bit condescending, to be honest. I have tried multiple programming languages and get the jest of it. I just would like to know what I would need to get it all set up to modify it. I like the feel of the touch, and looking for another device to fulfill my wants would be costly and time consuming. reprogramming it would allow me to learn by doing, to understand the root OS of the device, and to completely understand the device I bought. I hope you understand my position now.

Mr. Darcy

Oops I just read my post back and realized it does sound a bit condescending, I'm sorry. Thats not how I meant it. I'm trying to say that something like this for someone that does not have a VERY good grasp of programming, will be a very long and hard project to undertake. But if you would like to give it a try, go for it. It just does not sound like a project worth that much time especially since the results are not certain. I myself do a lot of programming in Python. I've made a bunch of simple Windows programs to do certain tasks to make my life easier, but even those took a lot of time and effort and those were by no means hard to do.

Oliver

No worries. I'm not talking about remaking the entire OS from scratch, just modifying it a little to allow some other programs to run on the original factory programming. All I want is a calculator and a notepad. not too much to ask, is it?

Mr. Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer817 View Post
    No worries. I'm not talking about remaking the entire OS from scratch, just modifying it a little to allow some other programs to run on the original factory programming. All I want is a calculator and a notepad. not too much to ask, is it?
    From my understanding, this is possible. See this thread on Mobileread http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175278 I researched this some more on XDA and found quite a bit of information as well. My plan is to do a simple root, install Softkeys and Apex Launcher which would allow me to toggle between an Android home screen and the standard interface by a menu reached through pressing the n button below the screen. I plan to install EZpdf reader for PDFs, a browser (probably Opera) so that I can access my Calibre library over wifi, Coolreader for reading books with many charts and illustrations (it allows you to zoom in on them - a modification that should be in the standard software), and a file manager to manage the apps and move books around if necessary. That way I have access to a few apps when I need them, but a standard nook otherwise. I think, also, there is someone on XDA who is designing a minimal custom interface to do exactly what the OP was talking about.